cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SSD Compatibility for HP Stream. Memory is too little for desktop programs

HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

A lot of the memory of this laptop has already been taken up by the OS Windows 8.1. I only have 7GB left worth of space without installing any programs. I can't install desktop programs with this much memory so I plan to upgrade it with a SSD. Which SSD's are compatible with this laptop? Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,429 20,374 1,878 4,504
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jrodgers: You are confusing different terms -- memory and disk space.  What you are talking about is the hard drive getting full with, now, only 7GB of disk space remaining, not memory.

If you're planning on ADDING an SSD to expand the disk space, you need to understand that will NOT allow you to install additional software because the SSD will be a different disk volume -- and all your applications will still be pointed to the original volume for installation.

To get more disk space for installing applications, you would need a larger hard drive than is present on your machine, and then, you would have to first, CLONE, the existing contents of your hard drive to the new one, boot from the new one, and then expand the partition size on the new drive.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,585 1,575 133 308
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FYI, the Stream 11 has a 32 GB Hynix eMMC storage device soldered to the mainboard and cannot be upgraded with a SSD.

0 Kudos
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, thank you!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation