Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-bc019nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a 15-019nl with 1TB HDD. I undestand it has a free M.2 port, so it will be possible to add a SSD.

I read this document http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05117922

In page 2 I can read:

M.2 SATA conƭJurDtLons (TLC):

256 GB

PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SS

256 GB

512 GB

My questions:

it's possible to install a 1TB M.2 SSD?

I want to use the M.2 SSD as primary drive and I want to move all I have on the old HDD to it (I meant HP recovety tools partition, Win10 etc). How can I do it? Is there an .iso I can download / buy from HP to install all on the SSD? Or I should use Windows Backup tool?

It will void the warranty if I open the shell of the notebook (without broke anything 😄 )

Thank you in advice for answer

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ovk74

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavillion 15-bc019nl laptop and would like to know if it is possible to add an SSD to it. I'll be glad to assist you.

I did some digging on this case and found that the correct maintenance and service manual for this laptop. Click here to access the manual. 

This is the most relevant guide and it is for the HP Pavillion 15 series laptops. It does not indicate in the manual that there is an M.2 port inside the laptop. Also, there are no steps included to add an SSD drive to it.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer,

I take a look at the document you link me. My laptop is different from the one described in the document. It doesn't have any DVD bay, the bottom is one pices without doors, CPU is i7-6700HQ, it has GFX 960M and 1TB7200RPM drive...  None of thoose components are listed in the document.

So it looks more like the one in the link I have post (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05117922).

So now I am a bit confused. It will void the warranty if I open the laptop to check inside if there is a M.2 port? I'd like to order the SSD but I must be sure to what I buy. A decent 1TB SSD M.2 PCIe is over 600 Euro... 

I can send the picture of inside if it is possible in this forum, so you can better help me 🙂

Thank you, regards

Ovk74

HP Recommended

@Ovk74

You're welcome and thank you for the detailed information.

I did further research and found that the HP Pavillion 15-bc019nl laptop (product# Y5L39EA) supports an M.2 SSD

Opening the laptop will not void the warranty as long as there is no damage. Putting in M.2 SSD needs major disassembly and it'll void the warranty if you break something in the process of disassembly or upgrade.

FRU remove replace: https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10862166&MEID=9E11075D-744F-4986-ACA1-547A14CA1B03

NOTE: I'm not sure if this laptop can support a 1TB SSD. Because in the page# 33, it shows that only SSDs up to 512GB have been tested.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

That's a really great news!

I think I will use a 512GB, because 1TB is a bit expensive, expecially NVMe. Also the laptop will always have it's 1TB HDD, so a lot of space for data.

Can you please confirm me that in order to install Windows and all HP software that comes with the laptop, I should procede to made a set of recovery media from the HP Recovery Media creation tool?

So I will have my laptop like brand new but with the system running on the SSD.

Thank you very much for your help!

HP Recommended

@Ovk74

Yes, you need to create the recovery media for your laptop. You may refer to this HP document to create a USB recovery media.

If you want to have the SSD as the main drive with the operating system on it. Then you need to initially remove the normal hard drive out and install the operating system on the SSD. Later the normal hard drive can be connected back to the laptop. 

Hope this helps. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.