cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

SSD Upgrade

HP Recommended
ENVY 15 w105wm OR as014wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will be buying either the ENVY 15  w105wm  OR ENVY 15as014wm.

Both same price but prefer the as 014wm.

Are either units upgradable to an ssd? If so what style model for 480gb o greater

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,127 25,060 2,296 5,443
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rozenbob

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

As a matter of routine, ANY laptop that uses a SATA 3 2.5" notebook hard drive IS upgradable to an SSD.

Why?  Because the SSDs are much the samy physical dimensions as laptop drives and use the same hardware interface.

However ... CLONING the laptop HDD to an SSD is only a simple operation if the SSD is the same capacity as the HDD.  And, while 1TB SSDs are available, they are still very expensive.

You can "migrate" the HDD to a smaller SSD, but that involves considerable work, as you have to first shrink the set of partitions on the HDD to fit on the SSD with room to spare, and realize after that, the HP Recovery function will most likely NOT work anymore -- as it expects the drive to be the original size when  it goes to reformat it as the first part of the recovery process.

I replaced a 500GB HDD in a 5-year old HP laptop with a 500GB SSD -- and the performance is so good, it's like having a new laptop!

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation