cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alexwilliams030
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Scanning and Repairing C Drive

HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 AMD 1.8GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi Guys!

So I love my HP Envy laptop, it's got all the power I need for the stuff I need. I was just exiting my flight simulator (FWIW Flight Simulator 2004) and the screen went black, and didn't come up with a little spinning disc, as when it had done so before, it did. I powered off via the power switch, and currently (as this is being wrote) my laptop is 'scanning and repairing drive (c:)'. I know this is something quite bad, but can anyone elaborate on why this is happening? It hasn't done it more than once, I am leaving it do do its stuff. I just would like an answer as to why it has done this? Last time it crashed, I successfully booted back up again, albeit a little slower

Thanks in advance
Alex
2 REPLIES 2
alexwilliams030
Author
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That smiley face was a result of a colon and a close bracket! Sorry about That!
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,049 26,486 3,091 6,658
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

alexwilliams030

I have several systems that run Win10 and before a made a change (described below) I used to run into this problem all the time.

Win10 comes with a new hibernation process enabled BY DEFAULT. This is known as Fast Startup -- which is not to be confused with Fast Boot, which is different.

With this enabled, you can frequently be forced into running CHKDSK to clean up filesystem problems.

The solution is to DISABLE this -- and the instructions are below ...

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation