cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Limyyj Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen's Hinges broke off !!!!!

Hello, i am currently using a  HP Pavilion dv2000 CTO Notebook PC. The hinges on my laptop have broken off and the screen is now being connected to the keyboard area by its wires. The screen still works fine. How can i get HP to repair it for me? its still under warrently, i tried emailing and calling them. Emailed no reply. Calling them = machine and putting me on hold for more than 20 minutes before finally disconneting me. Thanks HP !

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Regents Professor Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4535 4499 384 1617
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Limyyj wrote:

Hello, i am currently using a  HP Pavilion dv2000 CTO Notebook PC. The hinges on my laptop have broken off and the screen is now being connected to the keyboard area by its wires. The screen still works fine. How can i get HP to repair it for me? its still under warrently, i tried emailing and calling them. Emailed no reply. Calling them = machine and putting me on hold for more than 20 minutes before finally disconneting me. Thanks HP !

Do you have an extended warranty?  If so, does it cover Accidental Damage (ADP)?  If you don't have ADP there's a slim chance that it will be repaired without cost to you.

You'll need to call HP support for them to discuss your repair options and for creating the repair order.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
344 341 16 47
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Kalt is right, problems with hinges are not covered by your standard warranty, not unless you got the accidental damage protection then the repair would be free.

0 Kudos
joesph61 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:smileymad:I bought an HP dv9000 series laptop in nov. of 2007 for 1400.00 from Best Buy and paid for extended 2 year warranty as well.  The hinge broke on it last years so I took it back to Best Buy and told me it would cost 400.00 to get it fixed.  I explained to them that it was under warranty etc.  I lost the reciept so Best Buy said they could look up my information and pull up the information on the laptop and confirm that I was covered under warranty.  Conveniently, Best Buy pulled up everything else that I have purchased over the past years but not the laptop....Humm, something is wrong with this picture.  Then they said with out a receipt nothing could be done.  OK, I understand that.  I asked them an alternative way of how this informaion could be located and they searched their system by name, address, zip code, credit card, phone number and nothing was found on the laptop but all the other items purchased where there.  I took precautions and tried not to disturb the laptop by closing it etc. becuase the casing cracked and wires are exposed.  I just accepted their decision and left it at that.  Now almost 10 months later, I have had to replace the AC adaptor twice since Feb of 2010.  HP encloses standard warranty information with their products which have a written gaurantee for 1 year under manufacturers defects.  I called HP and they pulled up all my informaion from when I registered these items saw these were purchased and are refusing to honor their warranty claiming I damaged the product.  Both of the AC adaptor ends that plug into the computer fell out or had become loose.  The origional AC adaptor that came with the laptop worked perfectly for two years but I left it in Los Vegas.  Up until the laptop hinge broke I moved my laptop from my desk to my bed etc and never had any problems but once my hinge broke, I have placed the laptop on my desk and has not been moved or closed since the hinge broke so abviously the AC adaptors that were purchased this year have not been hardly handled or unplugged etc.  The first AC adaptor broke within two weeks.  The second AC adaptor broke in less then 4 months and HP will not honor their promice to replace a product under manufactures warranty. 

I did some research on the dv9000 HP hinge and turns out there was a recall to have the hinges replaced.  I never received and email, mail, phone call or anything letting me know of this.  I'm not the only one either.  There are thousands of complaints about these hinges and not being notified of recall. 

SORRY HP BUT YOUR A BIG DISAPOINTMENT AND YOU HAVE MADE NO EFFORT TO CORRECT THE SITUATION.  I HAVE PURCHASED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF YOUR PRODUCTS AND WILL DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM BUYING HP PRODUCTS.  ACCORDING TO CONSUMER REPORTS HP IS ONE OF THE LEADING COMPANIES WITH HIGH FAILURE RAITS WITH THEIR PRODUCTS.  IF I WOULD HAVE KNOW THIS I WOULD NEVER HAVE PURCHASED YOUR PRODUCTS TO BEGIN WITH.  YOU HAVE NOT ONLY LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER BUT THOUSANDS MORE.  YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM IS NO HELP WHAT SO EVER AND REFUSED TO LET ME TALK TO A SUPERVISOR. 

AS FOR BEST BUY, I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE A PRODUCT FROM THEM EITHER AND WILL DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM SHOPPING THERE AS WELL.  TO BAD YOUR LOOSING CUSTOMERS OVER A CHEAP HINGE AND NOT LIVING UP TO YOUR PROMISE TO WARRANTY YOUR WORTHLESS PRODUCTS.  ALSO, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY BEST BUY, WAL MART, COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS ETC. THAT HP WON'T HONOR THEIR WARRANTIES.  I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH FIRST BEFORE BUYING ANY HP PRODUCT. 

GOOD BYE HP AND BEST BUY!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
emerald1773 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The broken hinge is a very common problem with HP laptops. They were fixing them for free but stopped in 2008 or 2009. When mine broke, I decided, as another person did, never to buy an HP again. I have a Dell, an Acer and now, a Mac. NEVER again will I buy HP - shabby hardware, poor customer service and just on general principle.

I also have replaced the keyboard twice. Anyone else have THAT problem?

0 Kudos
deirdre3857 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My screen hinge broke off too and I took it back to the store and I haven't heard yet.  The assistant seemed to think HP wouldn't replace the machine even though I took the best cover.  I'm waiting to find out in the next couple of days what will happen. Fingers crossed.  I did nothing to break the hinge, it just disintegrated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
darthbrine Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As far as I know my warranty is done so is there any way I can just fix it without any cost?
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation