cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Toad86 Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Searching for BIOS Update (UEFI) for HP 650 - need the right Version

Hey there,

my Bios is broken and for recovering I need:

BIOS Update Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)

for HP 650

Can someone help me?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Provost Provost
Provost
45,054 40,720 4,408 11,462
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the complete product name or product number for your notebook PC?

Is this your notebook? Updating the UEFI will not resolve your problem.

Plug in the power adapter. Do not shutdown or unplug external power during the following process!! Failure to pay attention to the previous statement will be the cause of your notebook becoming non operational.

Press the power button and then tap the Esc key to enter the UEFI environment.

In the UEFI environment you can roll back the BIOS to a previous version if you have updated your BIOS at least once before.

Select the F2 key to enter the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.  Select the Firmware Management button. The BIOS Management window will be invoked. This is where you can select BIOS Rollback to a previously installed version. Select it and folow the prompts.

Happy Holidays,

erico

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed.

Take a moment of your time, as we volunteers have given you some of ours in trying to help you resolve your issue, to return to your thread to let us know if we helped you or not.
0 Kudos
Toad86 Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

first, thank you for your answer!

The Productnumber  of the HP 650 is B6N09EA#ABD

Rev: 1858 - 100

I think it is the notebook from your link.

The problem is a broken Bios. I updated it, everything looked fine, but after a resart nothing happened. Pushing the Powerbutton results in a flashing Capslock, and the Powerbutton + Wifi are lightend. The screen is black and nothing happens.
The HDD has been erased just before the flash because there was an Linux System on it. So I think there is no UEFI left on the HDD. 

I really hope that I can fix the problem somehow (with your help). Don´t want to bring it back into the store...

The solution you mentioned doesn´t work for me or I´m doing something wrong, because pushing ESC after the Powerbutton results in the same flashing LEDs like I told before.

What can I do now? 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. It does help.

If you removed the original partitions then you are correct, UEFI is no more. That is why the Startup menu does not appear.

You will need to use the recovery disk set or USB thumbdrive media that you created and put aside. That was your plan "b". Booting into Recovery Manager and performing a factory image recovery will restore the original partitioning scheme and the UEFI environment.

There does exist a possibility of recovering a BIOS.

Put a BIOS ROM file on the root of a USB thumbdrive formatted in FA32.

Plug it into a USB port.

Plug in the power adapter and verify that the power led is lit.

Press the Power button and hold the Windows key and tap the "B" key

Your notebook may recover the BIOS at that point.

There is no guarantee that this will work. You may end up having  to send it in to HP to recover the BIOS and operating system.

I will edit this and supply a link to a BIOS right here.  Use the F.12 version on this page. You will need Winrar or winzip or 7zip to extract it from the softpaq and copy to the thumbdrive.

Best regards,

erico

Take a moment of your time, as we volunteers have given you some of ours in trying to help you resolve your issue, to return to your thread to let us know if we helped you or not.
Toad86 Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not create a recovery disk or something like that!

I tried the method you described! The problem is, that there is no .rom file after extracting the bios you posted.

There are .fd files. I read that I have to rename the files into .bin and .sig. Tried also .rom but after Power + win + b the UBS Flash LED blinks one short time and after that the Power/Wifi Led are lightend and the capslock is blinks.

I think I haven´t the correct Files / Names because it tries to read the USB Drive, but it does´t go on with it!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is unfortunate that you did not make a recovery disk set when you set up your notebook. The software provided by HP certainly did ask you to make one.

The stage where you find yourself is now is that you are going to have to arrange for HP to reinstall the BIOS and reinstall the original operating system.  I recommend that you purchase a recovery disk set from HP or from an HP partner.

Contact HP Customer Care for your region of the world.

Best regards,

erico

a means of contacting an HP Customer Care representative or Service Center.

0 Kudos
Toad86 Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

thank you. That doesn´t look good.

The system didn´t ask to make a recovery disk. Also there was no special HP Partition on the HDD. I know because while installing the new win system there was no such a partition.

I have written to the HP support and to the store I bought it. Maybe I will get help there...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What was the original operating system?

I looked at the available drivers on the HP web support servers and I see Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows 8 are available. That leads me to believe that your notebook was delivered with one of those operating systems on it.

If you installed Linux on your own as a separate or dual boot configuration and let Linux change your boot sector then that is why you are having issues.

0 Kudos
Toad86 Top Student
Top Student
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The original operating system was LINUX! And I do not know anything about linux so was the first step for me to erase it and set it up with windows 7. After that some drivers were missing and I decided to load them from HP.com. The first Update I made was the Bios Flash :/. I took the flash from your link, but the newest version. And after that nothing works anymore.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Toad86 wrote:

Hi,

thank you. That doesn´t look good.

The system didn´t ask to make a recovery disk. Also there was no special HP Partition on the HDD. I know because while installing the new win system there was no such a partition.

I have written to the HP support and to the store I bought it. Maybe I will get help there...

You may not have noticed it.

If the original OS was Windows 7 (from the HP quickspecs for your notebook):

SOFTWARE AND SECURITY
Preinstalled Software with Windows Operating System
HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7 only)
HP Support Assistant*
HP Wireless Hotspot* (Windows 8 only, web download)
HP Connection Manager* (Windows 7 only)
Cyberlink Power DVD***
Cyberlink YouCam DE****
Symantec Norton™ Internet Security 2012 (60-day trial)
Getting Started with Win8 (Windows 8 only)
NOTE: HP Recovery Manager enables fast recovery of the factory preinstalled image if the system becomes corrupted or if
important system files are accidentally deleted. Up to 16 GB (for Windows 7) and 36 GB (for Windows 😎 of system disk is reserved
for the system recovery software. Support in Windows Operating System only.

Try the BIOS recovery method described on this HP web document.

Best regards,

erico

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation