Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (564 Views)

Security Settings

Hi all

I've had my HP Notebook for a few months now running on MS Home Starter with Kaspersky.  Everything was going smoothly, got my dongle, etc.... and then I decided to download Picasa which is a free photo editing application.  It kept telling me my security settings would not let me, so I turned everything off i could think off, but it still wouldn't let me..... Am I missing something?  is there maybe a hidden setting that I can't find?  I also get these pop ups at the bottom of the screen when I'm browsing asking me if i want to open or save files and which I don't seem to be able to remove.....HELP!  I wouldn't call myself an expert but I think i've been using computers long enough to work out these settings..... or maybe not....  I need to download an upgrade to MS software so any suggestions gratefully received...

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 7 (523 Views)

Re: Security Settings

Hi,

Can you specify which security options did you turn off?

Can you attach a screenshot of the pop ups that you see at the bottom of the screen?

These pop ups could be a more serious problem than picasa not working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (521 Views)

hi - thanks for your reply -  will try a download and grab some screenshots.  I definitely turned off the firewall, but will have another look at the Kaspersky panel and let you know. thanks again.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (467 Views)

These are two of the messages i'm getting - all suggestions welcome.

error screen 1.jpgerror screen 2.jpg

Grad Student
Message 5 of 7 (412 Views)

Hi Sylvana,

Even if you try to cancel those 2 files, they will re appear later?

Can you copy the address details in the first screenshot. I can't make it out from screenshot

Some suggestions

- Try to clear the browsing history

- Check that your homepage setting hasn't been set to some weird address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grad Student
Message 6 of 7 (407 Views)

Hi sylvana,

It would be great if you could attach a clear image of your first screenshot. I can't make out the details on the address bar and the popup at the bottom at the screen.

thanks

Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (356 Views)

hi - i've actually managed to sort out the downloading problem (no idea what i did but i just managed to download Snagit), so my problem is the constant prompting for addons, etc such as this....  I restored the system back a couple of months and this seems to have sorted the downloading, Just need to remember which setting the addon/download manager is on.  many thanks for your help!

addon question.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation