cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HolmPC
Level 2
14 9 1 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Shift keys on built in keyboard intermittent at best

Pavilion 15 p199na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the shift keys (both of them) on my pavilion have developed a problem. After a non-specific amount of time, but never any longer than a few minutes after boot (and sometimes straight away) the shift keys do not work.

If I revert to Windows 8.1 they function perfectly, but if I then upgrade to Windows 10 again, the problem returns.

I have tried rolling back (and updating) the synaptics touchpad driver as I found some posts that suggested this might be relevant. This does nothing. 

I have connected an external keyboard. This works fine under Windows 10.

I have removed the keyboard in device manager and had it picked up again on a reboot.

None of the things I have tried have made a difference. Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @HolmPC,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that the shift key did not work well under Windows 10, but it is working fine under Window 8.1.

You can try to install the HP System Event Utility software in Windows 10: 

sp75216.exe

And let me know if this software makes the shift key work in Windows 10.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
HolmPC
Level 2
14 9 1 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing this did not help, but I think I have solved the problem myself.

Uninstalling two programs did the trick, but I think it's only one of them that is relevant.

The two programs I uninstalled were HP Simple Pass and Synaptics Touch Pad Driver. I had removed the touchpad from device manager previously, but had not uninstalled the program.

I then went to the synaptics site and installed the Windows 10 version of the software and so far the keyboard is still working.

EDIT - Spoke too soon. After a short while the proble, came back, although not as bad, only with some shift/key combinations.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @HolmPC,

Glad to hear that it is working now!

And thank you for sharing the experience that how you made it work again!

Welcome to participate in the HP Forums again whenever you get a problem.

Have a good day!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
HolmPC
Level 2
14 9 1 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not working, I spoke too soon. THe problem is back and does not appear related to the Synaptics software after all.

If I reset the machine to bare windows 10, the problem is not there, so I'm pretty sure it's related to something preinstalled on the machine.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @HolmPC,

Please follow " Manage applications and system features to increase performance" section in the "Computer is Slow" document to isolate the software which is affecting the keyboard function.

Let me know how it goes.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation