Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CCoops Student
Student
0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Short battery life for Spectre

Spectrae360

When I got my Spectre about 6 mo ago I go 8-10 hrs on a charge when doing word processing and e-mail.  However that recently dropped to less than 4 hrs.  After spending several hours with HP Support, we could find nothing obviously wrong with the machine.  A look at the Task Manager CPU useage revealed nothing extraordinary and the HP Battery check indicated the battery was "ok".  In preparing to send the machine back to HP, I decided to first try to reimage it, i.e. wipe the disk and reload the operating system.  HP makes this easy to do. 

Once the new image was installed I methodically  loaded each of my major applications one-by-one and retested the battery life after each install.  I now get 8-10 hrs of battery life. During this process I did not update any of the drivers.  This suggests that one of the recent driver upgrades is the culprit to my battery problem so I'm now much more cautious in accepting these.  I always do a restore point before proceeding and test the battery life afterwards.

Testing the battery life can be done in several ways.  The key is consistency.  The method I use is to edit the power settings so that the screen stays on and the machine remains awake.  I then just let it sit for a while.  I typically see a loss of 10% of battery power per hour.  Prior to the reimage I saw 25-30% reduction per hour. 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation