cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Eeyore
Level 4
84 58 7 6
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Should bios upgrades always be done

HP Recommended

Hello,

Noticed that support assistant indicated a new bios (f25) was available for my laptop.  Install seemed to go fine.  Only thing I noticed is Adobe reader sometimes freezes machine for a couple of seconds on first start up after reboot.  I could easily be convinced that is not related to update.

However, in looking around in the communities, I've noticed these updates are somewhat "dangerous", as an error can toast your machine.  Hp pushes them out with an important status, making you think you really should update.

What I was wondering is what is the consensus about installing these.  Stay current, or stick with the if it isn't broke don't fix it tact?

3 REPLIES 3
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 48,626 9,902 16,893
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

My personal opinion would be to only update the bios if it corrects an issue you're already experiencing, or if it adds functionality that you require.  As you quite rightly mention, a failed 'update' can effectively 'brick' a machine, often requiring an expensive repair if out of warranty ( or simply retiring an older machine where the cost of repair is impractical ).  As you can imagine, for every bios release, there will always be a number of failures.

Certainly, it's sometimes necessary to update, but when it's not I'd rather not take the risk :generic:

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Eeyore
Author
Level 4
84 58 7 6
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks, you echo what I thought. Wonder why hp ships with such a high priority. Was one scary moment, when after reboot it did its' thing and then shut back down. I for some reason thought it would stay on. All seems well, so I dodged a bullet. However sticking where I am at.

Thanks again.
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 48,626 9,902 16,893
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation