cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 0 0 2
Message 1 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Shutdown doesn't shuts off the laptop in Windows 10 (64 bit)- FAN, Power button Light still on

HP pavilion p045-tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello. I have HP pavilion p045tx. Recently I upgraded to windows 10 update (64bit). When I shut down my laptop, the screen turns off but the power button light, fan etc still keeps on running. Previously I was running windows 8.1 home edition. I didn't face any sort of problem like this. Please give me solution what to do.
34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 845
Message 2 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Shutdown doesn't shuts off the laptop in Windows 10 (64 bit)- FAN, Power button Light still on

Hi there @amisudiptasen

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your system is not shutting down properly after installing Windows 10. I am happy to help with this.

Under Power Options, go to Choose what the power buttons do   and under the Power and sleep button settings make sure that the When I press the power button down down action is set to " Shut down ".

Also on the same screen under Shutdown settings

Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended)

See this youtube video also showing how to do that. How to fix windows 10 shut down problem

Let me know if this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
Level 2
16 16 0 5
Message 3 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This problem has been faced by thousands and thousands of HP user and no solution has worked. 

Please go and see it on this forum discussion

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-go-into...

All the solution you suggested have not worked. We have tried every thing. they work temporarily when the laptop uptime is less than an hour (i.e. they have been on for less than an hour) when the usage goes higher then 1 hour the problem returns and we cannot shutdown the laptop.

Highlighted
Level 2
16 16 0 5
Message 4 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Atleast HP needs to acknowledge that they know there is aproblem and they are trying to fix it. People are trying everything and getting nothing, there have been around 300 posts on the forum and none of the Hp representative has responded to it. 

It is HOt thread even on the forum page  and no response from HP or Microsoft.

Highlighted
Level 2
9 9 0 17
Message 5 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

**I have posted this in another area with the same issue**

YES!!!!! A Solution that worked.  Spread the news.  It has to do with the Intel Virtualization Tehnology. Didn't know what that was until this issue came up in Windows 10.

First, find out if this is your issue.  

1. I installed the 'Intel Processor Identification Utility' directly from Intel.

2. After installation, open the program and go to the 'CPU Technologies' tab.

3. If it says 'YES' for Intel Virtualization Tehnology, proceed.

Solution...(at least on my system)

1. The next thing you have to do is go into the BIOS.  If you have not done this before, proceed at your own risk. 

You need to restart the computer and enter the BIOS (for me I hit F10 at the HP screen)

2. Within the BIOS, there is an 'Advanced Options' section

3. In this section there is a line for 'Intel Virtualization Tehnology' and it will say enabled or disabled.  My computer said disabled.

4. If this is the case, change the option to 'ENABLED'; then SAVE and EXIT from the BIOS.  

The Computer will restart and from that point on Shut Down, Sleep, etc. has worked.  WOW this was a frustrating issue. Almost went back to Windos 8.  I take no credit for this solution, I pieced it together from other posts on this issue.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This has probably resolved the issue with my pavilion 15-p027tx model. (Atleast it worked for today). Need to monitor it for a few days.

Thank for sharing!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
220 219 6 155
Message 7 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  Smiley Happy

--DanG

Highlighted
Level 2
17 16 0 8
Message 8 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very True

This is neither a problem of HP nor Microsoft.

The culprit is Intel. Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface driver to 9.5.24.1790 (search Intel site).

I had same problem on my Pavilion 15-n208tx. Running alright after the aforesaid downgrade since last two days.

The problem is with Intel Management Engine Interface driver ver 11x.

Download driver fom https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25096/Intel-ME-11-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

:TongueOut: Both the Shutdown & Sleep problem solved... (verified)

thanx

Level 2
16 9 1 2
Message 9 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

well let me clearify if when u upgraded window 10 its bios version was resetted to orignal or stock or watever u want to say but now if u update ur bios from hp website and install it the shut down problem willl be slolved automatically 
if u find this helpfull please click on kudos

well all u need to do is upgrade ur bios to latest version if bios version is not available in window 10 then select window 8.1 or window 8 then download the latest bios version for ur notebook/pc . the pc shutting down problem will be solved

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
220 219 6 155
Message 10 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@uzair101 wrote:

well let me clearify if when u upgraded window 10 its bios version was resetted to orignal or stock or watever u want to say but now if u update ur bios from hp website and install it the shut down problem willl be slolved automatically 
if u find this helpfull please click on kudos

well all u need to do is upgrade ur bios to latest version if bios version is not available in window 10 then select window 8.1 or window 8 then download the latest bios version for ur notebook/pc . the pc shutting down problem will be solved

Updating the BIOS has not proven to be a permanent solution for users here...  Unfortunately, your sleep/shutdown issues will likely reemerge after continued use of your device.

If you still experience this issue, try following the steps outlined here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-to-Resolve-Post-Windows-10-...

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation