cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hardyrexion Tutor
Tutor
12 7 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Simplepass still not working?

HP ENVY 15-j142na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Just bought this laptop and it has the fingerprint scanner.

Works fine for windows log-on

Having done a search, it seems simplepass with chrome / firefox etc stopped working sometime ago. I can't find an extension for either browser.

Is there an update to this? is the issue resolved / being resolved?

Would love to log in to sites with fingerprint as opposed to password.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
438 408 49 136
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the simplepass extension is no longer available via the Chrome web store, and the workaround via using Dev Mode was also disabled.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Google-Chrome-Policy-disabled-S...

I am an HP employee

-Bryan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern Intern
Intern
34 34 2 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Hardyrexion,

Have you registered the Website accounts with Simplepass?  If not follow these steps to see if this resolves the issue.

Open your browser and automatically log on to your password-protected website accounts by registering the website accounts and credentials in HP SimplePass. Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

Registering a website creates an icon that represents the website account you are registering in HP SimplePass. Registering a website account also securely stores the website name, web address, username, password, and other applicable information associated with the website account in HP SimplePass.
 Note:
Passwords containing the "+" symbol may not be saved using HP SimplePass.
You must set up HP SimplePass before you can register any website accounts. Follow these steps to register a website account:
  1. Open a web browser and navigate to a website where you have a password-protected account.
  2. Log on with your username and password for the website account.
    Figure : Sample secure login
    Sample secure login
    An HP SimplePass screen displays.
  3. Select an option for saving the website account information in HP SimplePass.
    • To save the website and log on information for this website account in HP SimplePass, click Yes.
      Figure : Remember this password?
      Remember this password
      HP SimplePass displays the Remember this password? prompt each time you log on to a website account that is not registered in HP SimplePass.
    • To have HP SimplePass register this account, as well as automatically register your other website accounts:
      1. Click More options.
        Figure : More options
        More options
      2. Click Remember all sites.
        Figure : More Options
        More Options
        HP SimplePass registers each website account automatically, the next time you log on to a website account.

Let me now if you are still not able to use the figerprint reader for password after that.

Thank you,

Jeorgie,

I am an HP Employee
hardyrexion Tutor
Tutor
12 7 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Thankyou for your concise reply.

Unfortunately whenever I visit a password protected website (eg this one!) and enter my password, I get no pop-up.

I assumed I'd need some sort of extension installing on the Browser (I'm using Chrome but also have Firefox)

Do I need one? I've set up Simplepass as much as I can.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
23,952 22,309 1,913 7,031
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hardyrexion

Welcome to the HP Forum and the rocky World of SimplePass as it exists today. 

@Bryan_N and @Jeorgie are both correct, and to be fair, SimplePass is a bit more battered by recent events than can be known by casual observation.  You might have been a direct victim of the Chome-SimplePass fiasco to appreciate the depth of brutality to which Chrome users have been subjected.  Rats.  Smiling.  OK -- perhaps that is a bit of an exaggeration.  People like to use their fingerprint software and they love their Browsers.

Firefox is in a bit better shape, IF you can stand a bit of acrobatics to get Series 8 HP SimplePass to work again.

You might try the following - it might work to provide Firefox with the Extension for Series 8 SimplePass.

Dragon Document:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

See the Section titled:

• Firefox and Series 8 HP SimplePass (tested on Windows 8.1)

Caveat:

This method appears to work with the most recent version of Series 8 HP SimplePass for Notebooks.  At writing, this Series 8 SimplePass version (available for download in the Dragon Document from HP sources) is V8.01.27B. 

SideBar

Series 6 HP SimplePass has always worked with Firefox.  At writing, Series 6 HP SimplePass continues to work with Firefox version 37.0.2

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation