Note on archived topics.
05-20-2015 11:04 AM
Just bought this laptop and it has the fingerprint scanner.
Works fine for windows log-on
Having done a search, it seems simplepass with chrome / firefox etc stopped working sometime ago. I can't find an extension for either browser.
Is there an update to this? is the issue resolved / being resolved?
Would love to log in to sites with fingerprint as opposed to password.
05-20-2015 11:31 AM
Unfortunately the simplepass extension is no longer available via the Chrome web store, and the workaround via using Dev Mode was also disabled.
05-20-2015 11:45 AM
Have you registered the Website accounts with Simplepass? If not follow these steps to see if this resolves the issue.
Open your browser and automatically log on to your password-protected website accounts by registering the website accounts and credentials in HP SimplePass. Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
Note:Passwords containing the "+" symbol may not be saved using HP SimplePass.
- Open a web browser and navigate to a website where you have a password-protected account.
- Log on with your username and password for the website account.Figure : Sample secure loginAn HP SimplePass screen displays.
- Select an option for saving the website account information in HP SimplePass.
- To save the website and log on information for this website account in HP SimplePass, click Yes.Figure : Remember this password?HP SimplePass displays the Remember this password? prompt each time you log on to a website account that is not registered in HP SimplePass.
- To have HP SimplePass register this account, as well as automatically register your other website accounts:
- Click More options.Figure : More options
- Click Remember all sites.Figure : More OptionsHP SimplePass registers each website account automatically, the next time you log on to a website account.
Let me now if you are still not able to use the figerprint reader for password after that.
I am an HP Employee
05-20-2015 11:50 AM
Hi, Thankyou for your concise reply.
Unfortunately whenever I visit a password protected website (eg this one!) and enter my password, I get no pop-up.
I assumed I'd need some sort of extension installing on the Browser (I'm using Chrome but also have Firefox)
Do I need one? I've set up Simplepass as much as I can.
05-20-2015 02:08 PM
Welcome to the HP Forum and the rocky World of SimplePass as it exists today.
@Bryan_N and @Jeorgie are both correct, and to be fair, SimplePass is a bit more battered by recent events than can be known by casual observation. You might have been a direct victim of the Chome-SimplePass fiasco to appreciate the depth of brutality to which Chrome users have been subjected. Rats. Smiling. OK -- perhaps that is a bit of an exaggeration. People like to use their fingerprint software and they love their Browsers.
Firefox is in a bit better shape, IF you can stand a bit of acrobatics to get Series 8 HP SimplePass to work again.
You might try the following - it might work to provide Firefox with the Extension for Series 8 SimplePass.
Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines
See the Section titled:
- Firefox and Series 8 HP SimplePass (tested on Windows 8.1)
This method appears to work with the most recent version of Series 8 HP SimplePass for Notebooks. At writing, this Series 8 SimplePass version (available for download in the Dragon Document from HP sources) is V8.01.27B.
Series 6 HP SimplePass has always worked with Firefox. At writing, Series 6 HP SimplePass continues to work with Firefox version 37.0.2
Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!
And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!
I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP.