Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Webskater Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solid state hard drives and storage

HP Pavilion 17-ab004na Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a pre-sales question - I find it odd that I can't find anywhere on the HP site where I can ask a question - instead I have to rely on asking a question in a forum where one relies on the kindness of strangers to answer a question. This is a very weird way of conducting business.

Anyway, I want a laptop with a big screen but I can't stand the row that laptops make - so I want a solid state hard drive which, as I understand it, are silent. But, I read that the machine I am interested in has a SSID of 128 gb and 'storage' of 1tb. What is this 'storage'. It is a hard drive? Is this constantly accessed so you still have the whine of a hard drive to listen to?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes the "storage" is an old school mechanical "spinner" drive. It is accessed less than if it were the system drive, but if the noise of a hard drive annoys you, you will be annoyed. Understand  a laptop with an SSD is not silent. It still likely has a cooling fan which is actually a bit noisier at times than the hard drive but obviously there is more noise when both are active at the same time. 

You may have had a bad experience with a laptop in the past, but generally newer models are quieter than they used to be. Still to achieve minimum noise you need to find a model that uses passive cooling and a solid state drive. Passive cooling (no fan) is used on lower-end processor models like the Celeron N series on some subnotebook models. These machines are about as quiet as electronics can be but obviously are compromised on performance because of the weak processor. And you will not find one with a big screen so that may not even be an option.

In the USA you have the option to "chat" with a sales representative, but from your English usage ("row" for noise) I am going to guess you are not in the USA.  

Webskater Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. You assumed correctly that I am not in the US - I am in the UK. (I would never use the word 'noise' to describe the sound something makes - unless it was the normal noise something makes. Most laptops I have used make a row - especially when they have been on for a while - and it's not just the fan.)

I'm pretty sure my son's Apple laptop is silent - I'll have to check again. They are so expensive for a decent spec. though. Although you can stick Windows on them easily enough these days. I just want enough to run Visual Studio and SQL Express to do development work ... without listening to the laptop when you are trying to watch the telly at the same time!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation