Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

Does anyone know where to obtain the latest firmware for this OEM Drive from HP?

I have HP version 1.83 dated December 2007

You can download the latest version for the retail version of this drive from sony at:

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/uploads/media/WinDL_BC5500S_V106_02.zip

it will not install on this OEM customized drive though.

We are missing out on Windows 7 fixes/support and Blu-ray reading spead increase from 2x to 4x, which are both large factors in obtaining this new firmware.  As far as I know, many HP Laptops use this hardware

I have a DV7-1177ca notebook

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi,

ich have the same Problem!

We need a Firmware-Update - because the Original Sony Update do not work with OEM Firmware.

Is there anybody at HP who kann provide this UPDATE?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I need a firmware update to watch avatar in blu-ray....

Come on HP get your act together and get an update out there, its been 3 years.....

HP Recommended

Hi I'm Italian and I have the same problem

I need the New Firmware for watch Blu-Ray because don't read it. Today I have buy the new Blu-Ray of Avatar and don't work.

Ther is a new FirmWare in the Optirac Site but I can't install it because HP lock the Drive.

HP Recommended

Me too! I'm italian and I've the same identical issue... I don't believe that after 3 years there are no new updates for us.. How can we do? 

HP Recommended

Hi, I have resolved the problem. The FW upgrade is not necessary but would still welcome.

So, I've install PowerDVD 10 Ultra build 1601 , because this version resolved problem with Avatar Blu-Ray Disc. This Blu-Ray have a new BD+ 5 protection. After install, run the program and insert the blu-ray.

If the disc will not start, close the laptop screen (with the program in run status and the blu-ray disk inside) Now, when the laptop will be in suspension mode, raise the laptop screen, login in your sassion, and see that will work. Trying for believing.

P.s. Sorry for my easy english.

HP Recommended

Not sure what version of Windows you are running, but here's what I've found out from HP support on my dv7 with a Optiarc BC-5500S blu-ray drive on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.

I had bought "ID4 Independence Day" on blu-ray so I could compare the disc to a DVD of the same movie since I'd never seen a blu-ray movie before. When I loaded the blu-ray movie I got a error saying that I needed a firmware update for the drive to watch the movie. I then downloaded a trial of Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 and the movie played fine, so I knew it wasn't a firmware problem with the drive. I then contacted HP support and they had me install SP48296.exe which is a update to the DVD player with support for blu-ray. Still had the firmware error. They then had me install SP47676.exe which says it's a update for MediaSmart MVP. After installing this one it did the trick! Don't know what it updated that corrected the problem with blu-ray, but it did the job.

Both these updates are available on the HP.com website under Support & Drivers. I found them by going to the downloads for my dv7t cto 2000 and selecting Windows 7 x64 for my OS. Then I found both under the Multimedia expandable section. Both these installs are actually good for all versions of Windows 7 both 64 and 32 bit versions.

Hope this helps you all! Oh, and by the way... Blu-ray is noticeably better than regular DVD!

HP Recommended

This does not work.  The only thing that will resolve this issue is a firmware update, and since HP puts their own craptastic firmware on the device to reduce the performance of the drive you cannot install Sony's firmware updates.

HP has known about this issue but does not care.  Ultimately it boils down to them trying to screw people over forcing them to buy a newer laptop or extended warranty service. 

I will never buy another HP product for as long as I live, and since I am an IT Systems Administrator I will ensure that my company does not either.

HP Recommended

I am so frustrated trying to find firmware for my Optiarc BC-5500S dvd writer. One would think you would support your products when you can't use said vendors firmware with an OEM drive. Thanks for leaving us out in the cold HP.

Just started burning Dual Layer Media, and a third of my disks are now coasters (right in time for the christmas season)!!!!!  I'm well aware of the miriade of problems with certain types,makes of media. But really a firmware update to this may help broaden the makes of media you can use and solves other stuff.

We're going to purchase at least one laptop this year or early next and HP is kinda leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I've spent many hours trying to solve this problem to no avail.

not a happy camper lol

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my dv7-1170.  I find it ridiculous that HP won't help to resolve the issue when it is their fault for not providing us with a well tested blu ray drive.  All i got from HP was a 50% dicount off of a replacement drive.  We as customers need to start a class action law suit against HP for this issue.  They should be replacing everyone's drives for free since it is their product that is malfunctioning and not anything the customer did to the blu ray drive.  Please respond if you agree!!!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.