cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LiquidPulse Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sound Stuttering and DPC Latency (Pavilion Dv7)

I bought a refurbished Dv7, 

"CPU: 1.60 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM 

Memory: 4 GB DDR3 (2 x 2048 MB)

Video Graphics:ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics 2714 MB total graphics memory with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated

Display: 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal HD+ High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1600 x 900

)Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm"

Perfect as I am a freelance Adobe Flash Designer and I Produce music on Abelton Live and use my laptop to mix as well! 

With a spec like that you would think i would be fine running all my applications! To date my system has trouble running iTunes, so I have spent the last 2 days solid finding a solution to my problem - turns out its a DPC Latency issue crushing my system performance! Sounds like my audio card is stuttering and system is locking up.

I have tried everything, when by chance i was sat in the kitchen with my laptop unplugged and I noticed I’m plying music and running Ableton Live and it was running incredibly fast and no stuttering, and it clicked so i went back and plugged in my laptop and within a few seconds my stuttering began again so i tested vigorously by running 7 programs without the laptop being plugged in and just off the battery no problems!

So i have ordered a new AC Adaptor hopefully that will work.  It sounds like some major interference... if anyone is suffering this issue unplug your laptop and test out my theory and let me know!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
SquirrelAbuser Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I bought a brand new Dv7 the other day that is a bit higher spec than yours but I have a similar DPC Latency issue that causes pauses in audio and freezes in the system. I downloaded a DPC latency checker and began the process of narrowing down the the culprit causing the latency. Turns out my WiFI card (Ralink RT5390) was the culprit as when I disabled the adapter in device manger my DPC Latency returned to normal levels.

After ding a little bit of searching I found that supposed solution is to download the latest drivers for the WiFI adapter as well as the latest BIOS update and just for safet's sake the latest audio driver too. I did this and I had no real change. Before you blame the AC adapter maybe you should go through the same process. Perhaps look at your power management settings and see if the wireless card is disabled when the machine is not plugged in? As that would make sense with my issue.
It is of course possible that your AC Adapter is causing your issue but mine is definitely coming from the WiFi Adapter.

Wis I could be of more help. 

0 Kudos
visphoto Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try changing the POWER OPTIONS in the Control Panel from HP Recommended to PERFORMANCE.  That worked for me.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the info i have tried both of those and no joy,

I have another non-HP adapter plugged in from my friend and alhough it says this output is too low for this PC it works and charges and i dont get any Latency spikes, so although it may not be the probelm at least now i can show the guys @ PCWorld.... 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To anyone who has a similar problem, I have downloaded this app: http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer and for a whole day not even a blip in performance, so I would HIGHLY recommend anyone with this problem download and run this little app what has basically fixed my problem..

Thank you to the app creators!

0 Kudos
djaquapimp Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was having this same problem which was causing major headaches with my serato scratch live dj software as well as a few minor 1-4 second feezes every so often. I found that the memory card reader was the cause for me. Since the memory card reader uses USB to communicate with the OS it was causing my USB bandwith to be sucked up which would cause prblems with my USB audio interface for Serato and a few other things. After diabling them in the the device manager (my laptop shows 2) everything runs great! I would like somone here with HP to take a note of this bc this needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mate in the end of of 1 MONTH of trial and error, i found out and nailed the problem the problem is 2 fold! I wrote an article on it if you care to take a look here obviously everyone may have different issues!

0 Kudos
mparp Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got a Pavilion DV5 1101el with the same problem (Popping/Clicking sound from speakers).

I updated the drivers with the latest from HP support, installed the soffware you mention (Wlan optimizer) and it solved my problem.

I used DPC Latency Checker to monitor my latency: http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Thanks,

Matteo

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation