Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had my HP Pavilion dv6-6163cl for about 8 months.  About 3 months ago, I noticed the sound from the speakers stopped working.  However, if I plug anything into the headphone jack, the sound comes out of both the speakers and the headphones.  I use windows 7 and it is up to date.  Also the drivers for the speakers are up to date.  Occasionally the sound comes out of the speakers but it only lasts a few seconds or I hear a popping sound.  However, if I plug in the headphones, the speakers play sound normally.

I went to control panel and selected the default settings for the speakers, but this did not fix anything.

Any idea what this is?  I see a lot of other people have the same issue and it has not been resolved? 

I use the laptop for business, so it is difficult just to mail it in to HP and go without a computer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link gib\ven below mightt help you to fix your issue.

No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 7)

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I tried all the fixes listed in the windows repair but nothing works.  Perhaps there is some kind of conflict with the headphone or microphone jacks and the speakers.  The troubleshooter says nothing is wrong with the audio.  I have seen this same issue listed for several people with the hp laptops and have not seen it solved yet.  The sound from speakers only works if something is plugged into the microphone jack or headphone jack.

HP Recommended
same problem my **bleep** just cut out the other day when I was playing a game right in the middle of the game sound just starts cutting out.. imo IDT is crap
HP Recommended

Hello cgoldberg11

Please go to the below link to test if you are having a speaker hardware failure.

Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7)

This will rule out hardware failure, let me know how that goes.

Thanks

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP. .....

Reguards,

Mo
HP Recommended

I tried the diagnostics and it found nothing.  I spoke with the HP technician and for 2 hours we went through diagnostics and reloaded bios and restored to a few months ago.  Nothing worked.  Next step is to recover the drive and reformat it to its new condition to see if its a software issue.  It that doesnt work, I will send it in to test for a hardward issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.