cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vkls Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre 13.3 stops charging in hibernate mode when plugged to USB-C hub

Spectre 13.3 - 13-v011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop stops charging when it enters hibernation mode when plugged into a USB-C hub/adapter. The only way to start charging is to 1) wake from sleep and then

2) unplug then plug back in cable from hub

If I plug charger cord directly in and the hub to a separate USB-C port then charging isn't a problem but the hub is completely shut down on wake from hibernation. So again I have to unplug hub and plug it back in again to get it to function.

Also no usb device (keyboard/mouse) plugged into hub can wake laptop from hibernation.

I've tried two hubs from two different manufacturer now and they both do the same thing. Laptop drivers are all updated. I tried another post asking if there are any hubs I can buy that doesn't exibit this flaw and got nothing so I assume this is the default behaivor.

Is there anyway for me to get a working USB-C hub that doesn't require unplugging and plugging back in cables all day?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
41,307 39,766 6,202 10,767
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do have a Spectre 13 similar to yours. I have not yet tried a usb-C hub but am I understanding you plug the charger into the hub or is the hub in one USB-C port and the charger another? I am understanding if you do that, the laptop keeps charging even in hibernation but you lose the connection to the hub when coming out of hibernation? I do have a 3 port USB-C to USB 3 adapter which I will try and see if it duplicates your issue. Is your hub USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to USB 3.0?

0 Kudos
vkls Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I plug the charger into the hub and the hub to the Spectre.

The laptop does not keep charging. In fact, it stops the instant the laptop goes into hibernate. Essentially the Spectre deactivates the hub the second it goes into hibernate and the hub stops charging the laptop. If I left the laptop much, much longer it would probably discharge and die. I know this because when I come back the laptop is not charging and has discharged some %. The only way to start it charging again is to wake laptop then unplug and then replug the hub.

Note when the laptop is plugged directly to the charger and I'm not using the hub pass-though the battery stays 100% and always shows it is charging.  This isn't an option though because if I use the unpowered hub in a different port for HDMI and USB then it is completely deactivated on wake from hibernate.

I have tried two hubs.

Hub one was a MINIX - NEO C with USB-C passthrough charging, HDMI, two USB-3 adapters, GB eithernet, and flash card readers. 

Hub two was a AUKEY CB-C26 with the USB-C passthrough charging, HDMI, and 4 USB adapters.

By passthrough charging I mean it has a USB-C input and an output and is supposed to charge the laptop if you plug the laptop's charger into the hub and the hub to the laptop.

Manufacturer of hub one, MINIX, told me it is not compatible with HP Spectre and only macs.  But it behaves identical to hub two, AUKEY, which claims windows PC compatibility.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever got a USB-C hub with pass-though charging to work with this laptop after wake from sleep and if so how.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation