Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dakillertkd Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 Runs HOT

L0Q51UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have had my X360 for about a year but just recently it's really running hot after a short time of use.   I have turned it completely off overnite instead of putting it in sleep mode and it still runs hot.   I have it currently leaning so there is absolutely nothing blocking the vents in the back and it's still super hot.  

What am I to do to cool it down and is there something that HP is doing to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16704 1340 2315
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 Runs HOT

@Dakillertkd

Thank you for joining HP Forums.
I'll be glad to help you,

As I understand the X360 is heating up and you want a solution that would cool it down, here's what I suggest:

Restoring the BIOS back to factory settings is one of the fixes for the Overheating, click here for details.

if the above is done, but the issue persists, please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS - After releasing a laptop, HP regularly provides updates for the BIOS and other components. Check for BIOS updates and install them using instructions in the HP support document Updating the BIOS.

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

For more details, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
VB8 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 Runs HOT

I just purchased a new Spectre 360, 15" with core i7.  I have the same issue as many other people on this forum.  Top left hand part of the laptop gets very hot if I try to do anything.

I checked the link for help with this issue posted by HP Employee.  It says that if the temp is higher than 35C, it may damage the components.  I used SpeedFan to measure the temp of the CPU and it is in the low 40C if PC is idle, but goes up rapidly of I start watching a YouTube video for example.  It is worse if it is charging.

It's a brand new purchase so I don't think it needs BIOS upgrade.  Does anyone has any new ideas other than unisntalling Skype, updating BIOS, unplugging the charger and working in a cool room (last one is from HP site)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16704 1340 2315
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 Runs HOT

@VB8

Thank you for posting,

I recommend skipping to Step 6: Testing for hardware failure (on the link shared earlier)

If overheating issues persist after cleaning the vents and moving the computer to a cooler room, a hardware component might be damaged. Test the computer to see if any hardware, such as memory, the processor, or the graphics hardware, have failed. Most HP and Compaq notebook computers have diagnostic software to verify hardware failures. For more information, see the appropriate document:

If the hardware has failed, either replace the bad component or contact HP for further assistance using the Contact Support tab at the top of this screen.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Dakillertkd Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 Runs HOT

So I updated the BIOs and it worked... (or whatever you guys suggested for the BIOS) ...  worked for a while and now back to running hot again.   How am I (a non computer person) supposed to do Step 4 or Step 6?   And my room is at a normal temperature, infact a lil cooler than most prefer?

Bottom line... a computer a year old shouldn't be having this issue.... at all.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation