cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CliffWard
Level 1
8 2 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Spectre X360 heat and fan noise under low/moderate load

HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I received my X360 a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking of returning it due to fan noise. I've followed some advice in other posts where people are suggesting in it's driver/windows 10 or even dust related. I've updated drivers, stopped windows services... done everything I can think of resulting in watching task manager like a hawk.

With a few tabs in my browser open it will start to get warm at the rear-left, eventually the fan will kick in slightly - the fan kicking in slightly is fine. However should anything remotely tax the cpu at around 25% for anything more than a minute or two, or worse still I dare to open an indie game which should be too demanding then the fan quickly spins-up and is an off putting nuisance. I know it's not a gaming machine, but the cpu load issue has me wary of even installing a standalone antivirus.

How has everyone found the fan noise or heat produced by their Spectre? Would be grateful for some feedback please.

11 REPLIES 11
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 16,696 961 2,185
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @CliffWard,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 Notebook and issues with heat and fan noises. I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings and fan defaults. Restart the Notebook after it has completed.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just select the on the right side, download and run the program on your Notebook and it will help with any software and driver updates on your system.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
CliffWard
Author
Level 1
8 2 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter and thanks for getting back to me.

I've been following other threads both on here and over on the Notebook Review forums and I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth sending my machine to HP.

Over the past few days it's started to produce a buzzing noise every 10-15 seconds which lasts about a second. I did wonder if it's coil whine, but it's strange. I tend to only notice it in a quiet room. It sounds like there is a bee or wasp in there!

This coupled with my fan being a bit obnoxious and high-pitched under moderate load I'm wondering if I'm unlucky, as normally there would be far more reports if this is a common issue. I know the heat is often reported but the tone of the fan noise and the buzzing sound doesn't appear to be.

Would welcome any advice please. I've tried rolling back driver updates in case the buzzing which suddenly appeared is software related.

Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 16,696 961 2,185
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @CliffWard,

What happened when you restored the BIOS to factory defaults.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
CliffWard
Author
Level 1
8 2 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter,

I tried restoring the default bios settings again and it made no difference to the fan, the heat or the buzzing noise.

I've never been 100% sure my fan, heatsink etc are as they should be. When I first got the laptop there was a faint electrical or plastic burning smell for about a week. Not enough to make me stop using the machine, but enough for me to wonder if it's normal.

I found another thread this evening related to the buzzing noise, some other owners have raised it and like them the only fix they could find is to disable the integrated graphics. It's loudest near the hinges to the touchscreen.

Very grateful for your help. Thank you. If you've any more suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

AAKM
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @CliffWard,

How did you go with that heat and fan noise problem? Can I know the update status?

I bought HP Spectre x360 (i7 6200, 8GB RAM, 256 GB storage) today and after using it only for ONE hour for the FIRST, it became so hot at the left corner near the hinge joint. I couldn't keep it on my lap at all because of the heat. I was just running Google Chrome with 4 tabs.  

I think I should consider returning my laptop too. Please let me know your experience. 

Thanks.

kcface
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just thought I'd respond as well. Same problem and have had it since purchsing the unit in April of 2015. I've sent it back 3 times, had an onsite tech come, and they all say there is no problem to diagnose. I've asked about replacing the device with the same unit (new laptop) from the first time I've shipped it back to no avail.

Same model, i7, 256GB, 8GB RAM. From day 1 the fan was cranking full blast at boot. BIOS upgrades, reinstalls of windows, win10 upgrade didn't work. first time i shipped it back they noted they replaced the fan, not sure about that. The next two they literally did nothing.

The tech that came onsite upon escalating also agreed it's far too high noise/loud for the usage but that he couldn't do anything really to fix it. HP took that as "there is nothing to fix."

This entire ordeal is incredibly frustrating and HP customer support leaves much to be desired. I decided to just go ahead and eat the cost and sell the laptop. This was a company purchase and I typically stick with Dell Latitudes and will be going back to Dell as I've had zero issues with returns/replacements when needed.

DamianRC
Level 2
6 6 0 9
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this, folks.

Go into power options.

Click "Change plan settings" of which ever power plan you use.

Select "Change advanced power settings."

Expand "Processor power management."

Expand "System cooling policy."

Change "On battery" and "Plugged in" to "Passive."

This should do it. 

For added measure, you can lower the "Maximum processor state" "On battery" and "Plugged in" to 75% and 90%, respectively.

The fan will still blow, but with much less intensity. 

I'm pleased with the results at the moment.

Let me know how this work for you.

rebhaf
3 1 0 1
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This drove me crazy and I almost took my new Spectre back to the store. But then, after lots of google searching, I found an explanation. Your constant fan spinning may simply be due to how you're holding your device. It's about the design configuration -- the way the vent is positioned.

Because the Spectre requires air intake through the bottom, you need to keep it on a flat surface (there's enough angle to let air pass through). For the first few says, I had mine resting on my lap (and on a blanket, no less) and this was totally suffocating the ventilation system. The fan was spinning non-stop. As soon as I went to my desk, the fan-spinning stopped and NEVER came back. I sat there for close to two hours and it never came on once. Again, last night, I turned my laptop back on and messed around on it for a good two hours -- fan never came on. If you flip it around to use as a tablet, this is ok too -- the vent gets plenty of air passage.

It baffles me that no HP experts are able to explain this simple yet critically relevant detail. Not to diss the tech people, but geez, if we can't find the answers here, what's the point? Why should third-party blogs be more helpful than your own support platform?

Anyway, here's an excerpt from the article as well as a link...

"[T]he heat generated by the Core i7 processor is not a major issue, but here’s the deal with the Spectre: it has to be kept ventilated through the bottom, where the intakes bring in air, so that the positive pressure cooling system can do its job. That means using it on tables, avoid laying it flat on a bed and probably always ensuring it’s always well-ventilated. That’s a chore, yet one that usually takes care of itself given that laptops are great on tables, but that just isn’t the usual scenario in the real world."

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/22/review-hps-spectre-shows-a-great-ultrabook-can-suffer-from-being-t...

aquilles
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I joined the forum just to tahnk DamianRC for his suggestions. I have a refurbished Spectre x360 which has been fantastic outside of the constant high intensityfan issue. I tried his suggestions, and lo and behold, that pretty much solved the problem.

The fan is still on most of the time but it's 1/4 of the intensity it was before and is hardly noticiable now. The difference is night and day.

Thank again DamianRC!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation