cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 touchpad and sound problems

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Aside from the touchpad, and occasional sound problems I am quite pleased with the laptop/convertable. The problems I have are as follows:

1. There is no middle-click that I can find, it is a serious problem
  2. The two-finger scroll sometimes stops working, I have to restart or relogin to get it going
  3. When the two-finger scroll works, often times it bounces and starts going in the opposite direction, very annoying, I would be moving my two fingers upward to scroll the page and suddenly it moves in the opposite direction by a couple of screen fulls
  4. The entier touchpad can be clicked, what is the purpose of it if it does nothing? Can the center part be converted or programmed to function as middle-click?
  5. For some reason, I lose sound altogether and I have to restart the computer to get the sound back

The items 1-3 and 5 are serious problems for me, if there is a solution I would like to know. If there is no solution I would like to know too and also would like to know the reason for those problems. I have checked the Synaptics settings and not been able to find anything related to the middle-click and the scroll bounce.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this forum visited by HP staff or only for other HP users. I would like to get an HP tech to comment on these issues. My touchpad frequently stops recognizing multi-finger gestures like scroll up or down. The only solution is to log out and login again which is awfully inconvenient.

ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a horrible support forum HP. Why do you make believe you are providing support, this is more like testing the patience of your customers. I think I have purchased my last HP.

0 Kudos
17617 13031 251 983
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ACEkin

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Kevin. Appreciate the nudge you gave to HP. Let's see when, or if they respond. As I write this, I have lost the multi-finger gestures on the touchpad AGAIN! I have to sign out after posting this message, quite annoying.

0 Kudos
CHI-Aviation Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stupid question, but did you update all of the HP drivers yet? There are a TON which came out 8/12, including new Synaptics drivers.

I'm running Win 10 right now with pretty much no issues hardware-wise (one weird random powering on issue with lid closed after sleep, but I digress). I'm an Apple-certified tech, I've owned many Powerbooks/MacBook Pros over the years, but this x360 coupled with Win 10 is one of the best machines I've used in a few years. Mine's the 4003 model with the Core i7 and 256GB SSD (8GB RAM). I just updated the BIOS and all of the drivers yesterday and have been actively using the trackpad and playing back audio from within Chrome (streaming from rdio.com) with no issues. I'm even using AirParrot to "AirPlay" to my Denon amp!

I will say that prior to the latest Synaptics update, I was having trouble using the two-finger tap gesture to get right-clicking working, but that seems to be working well now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the updates are done, the TouchPad problems persist. The sound or the mic can go off without notice. I am now on windows 10 that has not addressed the problems.
0 Kudos
CHI-Aviation Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm. I will say, my HP is a factory-refurbished unit, so they may have fixed an issue on it which you're having (unfortunately I don't know what was refurbished on it). Good luck!

0 Kudos
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I should have looked for a refurbished unit. Better yet, I should have read these forums before plunking down my money. In general, it is a good laptop but the problems are VERY annoying. I did receive an e-mail from HP support askiing for my personal and computer information which I provided. Now, I am waiting.

0 Kudos
ACEkin Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

Someone wrote to me asking for additional information which I provided. Then a case manager called and said I should speak with a tech support person and arranged for a tech support person call me between 6-8PM. The call did not come until 10:30PM and I got up from the bed to talk and allow the support to access to my computer. After replacing the touchpad driver and looking at a few settings he decided that I should talk to the case manager again.

The case manager called as promised around 3:30PM the next day and arranged for my laptop to be picked up for service. I recieved the shipping instructions and the box yesterday and shipped the unit within hours, now I am waiting. The problems I have been experiencing are intermittent but frequent, I reminded that to the case manager. She said she would make a note to have the hardware be replaced for the touchpad and the sound subsystem. We'll see.

What could be a honey of a laptop is seriously marred by strange touchpad problems. The disappearing audio is the icing on the cake. I hope they can nail the problem since I have already spent several hours backing up and removing my data, deactivating software so I can reinstall them in case they do a system restore (although I don't know why). If I have to go through this once more I will not be happy at all, not at all!

The moral of the story, don't simply read reviews but check the support forums of the product you are planning to buy.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation