cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Spectre x360 - OS reinstall

HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a spectre x360 and I want to do a fresh reinstall of the OS to remove some of the unnecessary programs installed by default

I have 2 questions:

1) The laptop currently runs W8.1. I'd like to fresh reinstall 8.1, then upgrade to 10 using the serial number of the existing OS install. I assume there is a serial number for the OS somewhere - where can I find it? On my other laptops the serial is usually on the underside but I don't see it anywhere on the spectre

2) I usually like to have 2 drives/partitions - one for programs and one for my data files. If I partition the existing SSD into 2x 128GB partitions, will this impact the HP recovery software at all? How does recovery/factory reset work on the spectre x360?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,714 38,171 3,351 14,088
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1-the license key is embedded in BIOS. Usually it is retrieved automatically during a clean install- not without occasional hiccups from posts seen on the forum. Windows 10 upgrade also uses the same key-retrieved from BIOS.

2-Changing partition structure breaks the Recovery function. Always create your Recovery Media before making changes to the partitions. Recovery media for>  Windows 8 The document HERE shows how Recovery/Factory reset works.

For what is is worth-you may want to just upgrade to Windows 10 and let it activate- then do a clean install of Windows 10. Once a machine has been activated it can thereafter be formatted and Windows 10 clean installed with auto-activation. MS registers your hardware profile on their servers during the upgrade which allows for a clean install later. The document MS HERE explains the Upgrade process as well as a clean install (after being activated once)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there anything important that I'd lose by doing a fresh upgrade? Or are all the important things download from the support site?

One thing I heard was that the drivers were optimized for Win8, and battery suffers in Win10 - is there any truth to this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1-Without knowing which specific model of X360 you have I can't check the support page to see what software/drivers are available for Windows 10. I will say that not all options are always offered on a new OS.

2-I have seen some complaints on forum of diminished battery life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Would using clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to image the entire SSD serve as an equivalent to creating recovery media (which you can only create once)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've never used Clonezilla but it is highly rated.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation