Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
fanalk Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 4
Message 1 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 Poor battery life (Skylake version)

spectre x360 i5 6200u
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased the new Spectre x360 (i5 6200u version, model number d108) and I'm experiencing muddling battery life. I only seem to be managing around 6 hours or so of casual browsing.

This is with the screen brightness down to the lowest possible, killing/removing unnecessary programs and barely anything running in the background other than Google Drive. I've seen a review which managed to get 9 hours of browsing and that was on the version running the Broadwell CPUs which are supposedly not quite as efficient as the newest ones.

So what's going on here? I know manufacturers exaggerate but half the marketed time with minimal load and lowest brightness doesn't seem right?

32 REPLIES 32
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 2 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @fanalk,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 with poor battery life. Battery life will vary depending on numerous factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. Here is a link to a performance troubleshooter with Windows. Biggest thing is the Apps are not closed or stopped.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
fanalk Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 4
Message 3 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand usage will vary but reviewers are getting 9 hours or so of casual browsing at 80% brightness. I'm getting substantially less with a lot lower screen brightness and again usage is just casual web browsing with no other applications.

What would the usage have to be to get the advertised 12.5 hours?

BootSpork Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Similar story with the Broadwell version. Rated at 12.5 hours. You'll be hard-pressed to find a review deviating from that figure more that a couple hours. I have yet to get better than 6 hours under conditions less battery intensive than I've seen in a lot of reviews. I'd love an RMA, but HP won't cross ship a unit. I'm going to have to wait until semester break, as I can't afford a couple weeks of down time right now. If someone from HP could step in and help me I'd appreciate it, but I'm feeling a little disappointed with the whole experience. I really want to like this machine.

0 Kudos
fanalk Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 4
Message 5 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I expect a lot better. Any HP Expertes/workers want to add to this?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 6 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BootSpork, @fanalk,

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Lancesimpson Top Student
Top Student
8 8 0 0
Message 7 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just purchaced a new Spectre x360 (Skylake version) as well and my battery life is bad. It went from 100% to 83% in less than an hour. Did you find a solution to this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
fanalk Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 4
Message 8 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just contacted Hp support this morning and they gave some instructions which seemed to rewrite or update the BIOS. I'll find out over the next day or two if it helped.

I also noticed there's a BIOS update available through the Hp assistant program now too. Not sure if that might help things.
Lancesimpson Top Student
Top Student
8 8 0 0
Message 9 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you...I will contact HP Support as well.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 10 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Lancesimpson,

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

@fanalk would you mind letting me know as well. It does help us help you! Smiley Happy

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation