Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1313Mockingbird Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 USB devices connect/disconnect every 30 seconds only work with external powered USB hub

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Bought two Spectre x360 replacing two Windows 7 machines.  Bus powered USB devices do not work with the Spectre X360.  They connect/disconnect every 5-30 seconds.  The devices worked without issue on multiple Windows 7 machines, but will not work on either Spectre X360.  Devices are: USB powered hard drive (USB 3.0), and a software key fob (USB 2.0). 

The only way I could get the devices to stay connected to either Spectre X360 is to first connect a powered USB 3.0 hub, and have the USB devices connected to the hub.

Here is what I tried without success:

1. The BIOS and all drivers are up to date.

2. In Device Manager for USB Root Hub (xHCI), I turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management Tab.

3. Disbled "USB selective suspend settings" in the "Change advanced power settings" of the "Power Options" / "Change plan settings".

4. Unchecked the "Turn on fast startup" in the "Choose what the power buttons do" of the Power Options control panel.

This ultra-portable computer is unusable if I must drag along an externally powered USB hub, power plug, and cables to connect my USB devices.

Again, all the USB devices work OK on multiple Windows 7 PCs, and do not work on two different Spectre X360.  It appears the Spectre X360 does not supply enough USB power to keep the devices running, they connect and disconnect every 5-30 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AleSalv Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 USB devices connect/disconnect every 30 seconds only work with external powered USB hub

I'm suffering exactly the same issue. I did all the suggested power management checks and my driver are up to date, nevertheless the issue is still there.

USB ports are not usable without a powered USB hub and this is really a showstopper in my work. Also I spent a lot of time on this issue and I also lost some work.

Can I exepct a solution or do I need to look for another laptop?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
bryan_s Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem with a *powered* USB hub.  I have the HP PR3001 port replicator attached to my HP Spectre x360, and it inexplicably disconnects from the Spectre every so often for a second or two and then reconnects.  My mouse, keyboard, and network connection seem to work fine through it, but it loses and then reaquires any thumb drive attached throught he port replicator.  I did have my HP S240ml monitor attached through the replicator' HDMI port, but every time it loses connection it resets my Spectre monitor screen icons.  ( I had an HP LV2011 monitor hooked up via VGA with no connection problems, but the Spectre for some reason didn't give a clear image on that monitor - it always looked a littel out of focus.  HP Support said use one of 3 recommended monitors to clear the issue, which seemed non-sensical, but I finally bought one and it does work fine.)  I sure would like to know what's going on.  It's lost and reconnected two or three times while I typed this message.....

0 Kudos
meKahoona Top Student
Top Student
5 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seem like I have one person with the same sounding issues.  We tried replacing all monitors, Key Board, Mouse and anthing else we can think of.  He is on a New Spectre x360 with a PR3005 port replicator.  We thought we had it, but it looks like if it goes to speep on him and he wakes it it starts to jump down at the taskbar.  I was wondering if this setup was allowed to Hot Dock or since it is a port replicator if thes really need to power down and back up to work right when hooking back up to the port replicator.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation