Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bigals55ajr Tutor
Tutor
7 4 0 3
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 battery life

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought my Spectre x360 and overall I am very happy with my purchase. However, I am a bit concerned with battery life. For my version (i7 processor and UHD screen) I am only achieving about 5 hours usage from each charge. I had expected nearer 9 hours from the adverts for the model. Reading messages from other users I seem to find that to achieve nearer 9 hours i should lower screen brightness to about 50%. Surely the main reason for buying a notebook with a UHD-4K screen is for the display to be bright especially when watching videos (Nertflix, iPlayer etc).

Any suggestions about improving battery life please

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17773 17725 1438 2457
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bigals55ajr

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well :)

As I understand you want to improve the battery performance on you notebook,

Below I've listed a series of steps that should help your cause:

• Video about improving your notebook battery performance
  • How long does a notebook battery last?
  • Adjusting notebook battery power plans
  • Factors that contribute to loss of notebook battery capacity
  • Recommended notebook battery care practices
  • Original battery charges slowly, replacement battery charges normally
  • Special recommendations for embedded (not customer replaceable) notebook batteries
  • Tips for conserving notebook battery power

For more details, Click here

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
bigals55ajr Tutor
Tutor
7 4 0 3
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. I'll work through the steps you have provided and then let you know my thoughts.
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17773 17725 1438 2457
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bigals55ajr

Thank you for replying,

I'll be waiting for your update,

Take your time and keep me posted.

Have a good day, Ahead

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
709 700 9 57
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

May I answer all these questions. (most)  (i posted to x360 but it landed here,  no idea at all why)

The magic of thin,? (it was your choice)  ( as they say can't be too thin or too rich) is it true?, read on.

To get this magic, the battery no longer pops out .like my beloved Elite books do, (have many and weighs 2x more.)

You must learn to do this  the hard way, (read the service manual HP does not offer now...  (strike 3?)

Learn too that all batteries, are what we techs call "weak Technology"  see table photo below.

Batteries, love to fail, unlike my powerful desktop with no batteries, and never fails, in 10 years.

The battery device is the weak link and the BAT LID is missing ,  can not just be  swapped, in say 1min.

In addition to that, my real lap top HPs , i can have 3 batteries, so I can go off grid power, for a long time.

Can't do that with any thin book, at all.  (that's  ok, mine is a gift to son)

Personally I like the 3 lb weight but not the fragility factor at all, not in the least.

The batteries do not like being totally discharged, so charge them every 30 days,  or bad can happen.

ONE complaint I have about magic, is that HP should have put in a battery, warning system."messages:"

1: battery shorted.

2: battery, open.

3: battery performance,  reduced. (takes smarts)

4: charger dead. (serious issue and expensive fix but need not be... "design")

on a real lap top swapping the battery in 1min solves this, problem.  (oops won''t run with only battery pack , bingo)

but raises the problem that the warning system uses power when turned off.

not good, so add 2x, AAA batteries, buzz, too thick ,so use some coin cells to have  full time battery monitor circuit,

a win /win. (post man goes broke? sure he loses.)

No more truck loads of X360  for repair,   the owners can find any local tech, to fix it. ( imagine that, or a real HAM radio guy or any electronics service shop on earth, for that matter)

This raises the cost, for sure with a tiny LCD on the back' with errors seen above."

the owner then knows it's just the battery , (sure it is,  they love to fail, as all batteries do), so the the owner

learns to replace it, or finds a tech, in town to fix such a SIMPLE FAILURE.

I could also add a $3 LCD volt meter to the rear, with coin cell, and get the same effect.

How about a plug on the rear of the NB,(notebook) that cuts the battery out and allows A/C line power to work.

costing 3cents?

or

Surely the plastic gods can make a plastic cover, that removes easy and battery pops out, yah think?

My question is  why make a high failure item so hard to fix. (easy for me ) but not the public? why?

my guess, is the high price of such a NB, is to cover all these warranty due to above. choices.

$1000 to read email and CNN to spread rumors>? really? end  1 line rant.

As you can see, all batteries have self discharge. (even in your hand , no wires) and worse HOT.

lithium1.JPG

as the Lithum drops in voltage, to say 1/2 charge the self discharge reduces.

here is a bench mark for the HP charger pack , new notebook, 1 day old, charged over night, power lamp white code.

line current to the pack 120vac side,  

it reads,  .005 amps.

about 0.6watts (VA)  (I'd do more but can't due to warranty seal breakage, I am not doing it)

keep in mind many  (some) laptop,note books,

have smart chargers, that many  NOT allow charging until the battery drops by 10 or 20% ,

this i'm told is the smart charger learning the batteries preformance,   keeping full charge is best.

This is so the charging profile does not shorten the batteries life. (complex topic) (no facts from HP yet this topic)

Storing this battery on a self is best at 1/2 charge the bat maker states.

The battery needs to be never allowed to drop below a certain voltage, or it will be damaged, (see battery makers data sheet for this number) the HP charger does this magic protection.(but not parked on a self for many months)

So park it plugged in !  .6w is nothing,,,,

More?> sure, the battery gauge is not accurate, it's  toy grade, good yes, but not insturment grade.

the run time is what matters.  and the faster you WORK the processor the shorter the battery lasts.

Ask folks of real lap tops, how many batteries they had fail, in 5  to 10 years, (answer LOTS)

News flash, as Im typing this in on a real desktop, my UPS battery just whet bad now, and is   beeping codes..

Imagine that, battery brains in the box.  (not magic, all good engineer's now how to do it,,)

HP needs to rethink all this STUFF.

All i can say is it sure is cute, but at what cost?  (reliability )

(idea. a CNC titanium version, with battery bay or smart monitor for $1000 more))???

IMO !

$35 imported direct from china, if a 40day wait is fun.  13" may be diffr. from 15", HP SM books not on line. yet.

8 bottom screws, then bat screws and its out. Any tech can do this, for sure.

bat.JPG

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
709 700 9 57
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

reply 2

all CPU and all GPU

all use more current the  faster  you run them. (speed and load, its pure physics this,  )

called load.

just like you car the faster you go the more fuel you use.

same deal.

the i7 can use more power, for the same reasons. (reason we bought the i5)  AND RUNS COOLER IN THE LAP.

the transistors burn power,

all do. (NO SUPER CONDUCTORS YET, SO... they all burn power )

and the faster you make them change state, the more power you burn and the more cores running, same deal.

true on all computers. not just note/lap tops.

the battery has  fixed capacity charged and new.  (less older,)

so only the load varies. (so lessen your load,)

if you read the words, UP to XX hours run time.

note the key words UP to...

just like MPG in your car, UP TO.

The battery has finite energy

but not the electronic load.

that be vastly variable.

power can not be created nor destroyed.

only converted or wasted as heat, (physics)  in this case it's HEAT wasted.

(all computers   on earth, same)

Short answer,  reduce, load, or just be happy it does all that , so well,

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation