Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-4003DX x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two weeks ago, while on holiday vacation, my Spectre abruptly shut off during normal use. The screen went black. I smelled a faint burning smell. It wouldn't power up, no LEDs, no hard resets. Just dead.

I took it to a professional for diagnosis, and he stated that this was a known problem, showed me the burnt sticker over the fried capacitor, and referred me to the following thread, which now appears to be closed to replies (otherwise, I would have posted there directly):

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-X360-motherboard-bu...

The last person's comment sums up my feelings and experience exactly. This is a potentially dangerous defect, and and I would like HP to to take responsible action and repair the device free of charge. Given the price and positive reviews when it first came out, I expected this laptop to be a good investment that would last me many years to come. I've only used it a handful of times -- mainly during holiday vacations, and it still looks brand new.

Yet, due to a defective motherboard, I am now left with little more than a very expensive paperweight.

HP, please contact me to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I would appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@taylorsr

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Product Name: HP Spectre 13-4007na x360 Convertible PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I virtually had the same experience with my X360 laptop.

Here are the details of my experience:
- I purchased in May 2015 in UK directly from HP website
- The laptop is over 2 years old, which means that it is out of the warranty period
- At the time, I spent around £1000 on the laptop, a sizeable amount of money for me which I expected to last a long time.
- I have been very careful with the laptop, which I have never dropped or even scratched
- Around a weeks ago, I plugged in the laptop, but on screen it said that it was plugged in, but not charging
- Under normal operation, power LED would go amber when charging and white when fully charged
- The power LED blinking white when the AC adapter plugged in
- Tested with no other peripherals plugged into laptop (not even a mouse)
- I ran the HP battery diagnostics which reported that the battery was healthy and in working order
- Battery eventually ran down to 0% and powered off
- Now the power light on the laptop is no longer lighting up at all when plugged in
- The AC adapter is plugged directly into wall outlet
- I have tried different power outlets and a different power adapter (both power adapters are original HP) but still no joy
- I have tried resetting via holding power button for over 1 min
- Took to a professional for diagnostics and was told that there is a burn hole in sticker in exactly the same places as reported from other posts in this forum and amazon
- I consider myself lucky that it did not catch on fire, as this looks to be a known problem and as the original poster mentioned is a dangerous defect with the product
- I am also requesting that HP take responsible action, and repair my device free of charge due to the product defect

HP, please contact me to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
HP Recommended

Just giving this thread a friendly bump...

Can someone from the HP team please respond?

Thank you!

HP Recommended
The same kind of thing happened to me. I took my laptop to the geek squad at best buy and they said the motherboard is not completely burned and could be saved but the charging port is burned. Since the charging port is connected to the motherboard, the people at the geek squad recommended to save the data from the motherboard (as I have important files there) and recycle the laptop because it would coast the same to fix the laptop as it would to buy a new one. I've had the laptop since october of 2017 and I am posting this in April of 2018. As many people with the same issues have stated, I do not want to buy a new laptop and HP should fix or replace it because of the fire safety issue and the laptop is fairly new. God forbid if the laptop would of caught fire and burned my house, HP would be having a bigger issue than just a burned laptop and would be facing a bigger problem than just replacing the laptop. The people at the Geek Squad recommended I buy a new laptop and transfter the data from the old one to it. They also strongly suggested not to use the laptop because it's a major statefy issue due to the fact that it could explode and start a fire. Someone please help!!!
HP Recommended
Any luck on a response? I noticed how you posted this months ago and have not seen anyone from HP respond to the post. The same thing happened to me and I posted about it and now I am wondering how long a response would take
HP Recommended

@vithemane

If you purchaseed in Oct 2017 you are still in warranty.Call HP. Not sure why Best Buy didn't suggest that-or contact them on your behalf.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.