Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 4 (1,320 Views)

Spectre x360 (kaby lake) Amazing SSD speeds after "manual" driver update

Product Name: Hp Spectre x360 (kaby lake)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To put the comment in context i originally posted this in the "Battery drain when shut-down" forum.

Ok, trying to figure out how to get rid of the last 2-4% overnight drain i went through device manager and checked for outdated drivers, i then noticed that the driver for the NVME storage controller was a generic windows driver from 2006, tried to search for a update via device manager and hp's support page but no luck.

Then i rememered that back in the old days i used to use driver update tools to fetch the latest drivers for my computer, so i installed iobit driver booster 4 (free) and gave it a spin. Guess what, it gave me a samsung driver from august 2016. Did a reboot and just to make sure it was working as it should, i fired up ATTO and CrystalDiskMark and ran benchmarks. I know what numbers the SSD got before and what reviewers of this machine have gotten, which was about 1700mb/s read and 600mb/s write.

This is what i get after i replaced the generic nvme controller driver with the one from samsung:

3000mb/s read and 1200mb/s write!!! Im not sure how the new driver will affect battery life or anything, but i figuered i'd let you guys know, i mean that is almost double the performance of the generic windows driver. 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Try it out if you want guys, run a couple of SSD benchmarks before you install the new driver so that you have something to compare the after results with Smiley Happy PS! Don't blame me if your computer explodes or breaks down in any other way after installing Smiley Wink PPS! There might be a good reason for HP not using this driver, but i haven't had any issues with it yet, and the driver is easily rolled back to original if you want to.

Provost
Message 2 of 4 (1,295 Views)

Re: Spectre x360 (kaby lake) Amazing SSD speeds after "manual" driver update

Yes the driver update is likely the Samsung NVMExpress driver update 2.1:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

I installed it in my Spectre 13 Pro and it updated the Microsoft Standard NVME driver from 2006 to the Samsung NVME dated 12/8/16.

Unfortunately my speed increases were not as dramatic but there was an improvement....about 10% on both read and write side. I have the Samsung MZVLV256  aka SM951..M.2 disk and read is about 1500 and write is a bit over 500. 

I did the same upgrade to my Zbook G3 MWS which has the 512 gig SM951 and this one is giving me fits...read is about 1300 but write shows up as an appaling 9 mbps. Has to be something wrong. Results are just about the same with or without the Samsung NVME driver. 

Still the Zbook "feels" very peppy. Boot time is good and everything seems to run fine. So not sure whether I should be concerned or not. 

Intern
Message 3 of 4 (1,281 Views)

I googled my SSD variant for drivers a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find any, google actually suggest your model instead  (MZVLV256) so i gave up, thinking there were no new drivers or new compatible drivers for my drive.

I must admit, i can't remember exactly what speeds i got before i did the driver update (think it was about 1300mb/s read and 5-600mb/s write) and i forgot to do it before i updated, so i checked what reviewers noted, but i knew it was nowhere near the numbers im getting now. I could just roll back and check but i can't be bothered ;) For reference, my computer ships with the NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLW256 variant. Kinda weird that your MZVLV256 doesn't get better speeds, that W instead of a V must be quite the upgrade ;)

Anyways, since i've encountered no issues since i installed the driver it makes me wonder why exactly HP isn't shipping the computer with it, or pushing it via it's support page/support assistant app. HP is either really lazy or there are problems with the driver i've yet to discover.

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (1,280 Views)

I figured out the answer on my Zbook. Opened up the BIOS and there is an option to "enable RAID" for storage. I had it enabled even though I do not use RAID. Unclicked it, rebooted and now I am getting 1600 read and 600 write. Still trying to figure out how I can double that but I will take it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation