cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rob_tennant Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up failure

HP ENVY Notebook 15-as001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I was downloading AVG free and suddenly the screen went black and it froze, so I turned the laptop off by the button. When I turn it on it takes me to a recovery page where it says "Your PC needs to be repaired. The operating system could not be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors. File: \\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\avgboota.sys. Error code: Oxc000000f. You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB) contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer. Then below it has 3 options which are "Press Enter to try again" "Press F8 for start up settings" and Press Esc for UEFI firmware settings. Can anyone help me please? I've only had this laptop for 4 days or so. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
19,111 17,043 1,582 3,744
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up failure

rob_tennant

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What MIGHT work is rebuilding the boot loader components by booting from Win10 install media.

You will need access to a working PC for this step in order to create the media needed to repair your PC boot loader.

Once you have that, please download and create Win10 install media from this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

You will need to go to the Advanced Options screen and click on Startup Repair. You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

When done, your PC should boot OK.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation