Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cgadrim Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start up repair, Windows cannot repair this computer automatically

HP Pavilion dv6-1230us
Microsoft Windows Vista

I turned on my computer this morning and it loaded to a blue screen that read "start up repair, Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" it then gives me the option to send to Microsoft so they can create solutions or to exit and the run computer off. I am able to hit esc when the screen pops up and run a hard drive test. The test did not show anything. How do I fix my laptop? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
15827 15771 1465 3513
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cgadrim

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

If the problem is only corrupted boot files, it might be repairable.

You will need access to a working PC in order to create the media needed to repair your PC boot loader.

You will need to create something known as a Win7 Repair CD.  This will repair the boot loader files, and if that is the problem, your PC will boot OK after that.

This can be obtained (for a fee) from this link:  http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

When you download this file, it will be an ISO file.

To make a bootable CD from it, you will need to download and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Once you have that installed, run it, select the option "Write image file to disc" and select the ISO file you downloaded, and point it to a blank CD.

Once you have that, run it, in the Device entry, use the pulldown to select the USB stick.  Down near the bottom right, where is says "Create a bootable disk using", select the ISO file you downloaded.
-------------------------------------

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

Yeah, I know that says Win7 but that and Vista have the same boot loader files.

You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

When done, your PC should boot OK.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Cgadrim Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thank you fo your reply! On the blue screen I opened the "problem details" and this is what it said:

problem event name: startupRepairV2

problem signature 01: Autofallover

problem signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.0.0.0.0

problem signature 03: 0

problem signature 04: 65537

problem signature05: unknown

problem signature 06: NoOsinstalled

problem signature 07: 0

problem signature 08: 1

problem signature 09: FixPartionTable

problem signature 10: 1168

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.1.256.1

Locale lD: 1033

will the option mentioned still work? 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation