Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G5 Core i5 - 6200U
Hi Everyone,
My laptop was stolen. I want to know if HP or Microsoft can remotely access my stolen laptop and take over it and disable it, so that thieves can't use it?
Thanks
Ben
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @bel3

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum . Welcome!

I am sorry for your issues. While on a theory it might be possible for Microsoft to directly access a PC, practically this is impossible and cannot happen. HP cannot access your PC remotely.  Your PC data will only be protected if you previously enabled full disk encryption or files/folder encryption

In your case - I recommend you :

- contact the local authorities / police office and report the problem

- if you used the PC for banking stuff - immediately inform your bank to block any cards you may have used with this PC

- from another PC - known clean from viruses/malware - change all your passwords for online accounts - emails, banking accounts, social media accounts, important work accounts , etc.... This is done to prevent the thieves from accessing your online data and to prevent further data leakage

Hope this helps

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.