cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bel3
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Stolen Laptop - Can HP disable it?

HP Recommended
HP 250 G5 Core i5 - 6200U
Hi Everyone,
My laptop was stolen. I want to know if HP or Microsoft can remotely access my stolen laptop and take over it and disable it, so that thieves can't use it?
Thanks
Ben
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
9,962 9,858 796 3,831
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @bel3

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum . Welcome!

I am sorry for your issues. While on a theory it might be possible for Microsoft to directly access a PC, practically this is impossible and cannot happen. HP cannot access your PC remotely.  Your PC data will only be protected if you previously enabled full disk encryption or files/folder encryption

In your case - I recommend you :

- contact the local authorities / police office and report the problem

- if you used the PC for banking stuff - immediately inform your bank to block any cards you may have used with this PC

- from another PC - known clean from viruses/malware - change all your passwords for online accounts - emails, banking accounts, social media accounts, important work accounts , etc.... This is done to prevent the thieves from accessing your online data and to prevent further data leakage

Hope this helps

>> Your FEEDBACK is important. Click below on Accept As Solution or ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks <<
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation