Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
piphil Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stream 11 wifi cutting out and crashing OS

11-d007na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been having some problems recently with my HP Stream 11 (11-d007na). About 30 minutes after first turning on the machine, the wifi and bluetooth cut out, requiring a restart.

Even worse, some of the time when the wifi cuts out, the system (Windows 10, upgraded from the original Windows 8.1) completely locks up - including the mouse pointer - requiring a hard power down.

I'm assuming I have a problem with the wifi/bluetooth hardware module. I bought the laptop from PC World on the 31st of January 2015, so I'm out of warranty with PC World, and it appears HP only give a standard 1 year warranty?

Is it easy to access the wifi module? Would it be worth me opening up the laptop to take out and re-seat the module? I'll try disabling the built-in wifi and using a USB dongle to see if it corrects the issue.

If it needs replacing, is the module a standard module, or specific to this laptop?

Any advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 302
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, yes the Wifi/bluetooth card (WLAN module) is socketed and can be reseated/replaced, you can download the maintenance and service guide from HP.com for instructions.  You might want to first investigate some other fixes however like reinstalling the Wifi and Bluetooth drivers and the Intel chipset drivers.  Reinstallation of the drivers is sometimes required after a Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade on the Stream laptops.  You might also try a fresh installation of Windows 10 if that is practical for your situation, there are instructions here.

0 Kudos
piphil Top Student
Top Student
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I realise I forgot to mention I've already done a "Restore" reinstall of Windows 10, and the problem persisted. I'll have a look at the maintenance guide, I wasn't aware they existed. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation