cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MaxxJustice Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Hi there people...............HELP!!!!

OK i'm no stranger to tech and i do like to think of my self as quite savvy so I am completely stumped how a sexy little bit of kit like this wants to mess me about...........

Essentially the problem is that it will not display a website whether it be google, youtube or anything after around 10-15 mins of surfing..........

I have updated the following:

BIOS

WLAN Driver

And I am running the following hardware/OS

HP Pavilion G6 6GB Ram 750GB HDD

Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1

Here is what I have checked/tried

restarted and reinstalled both router and wifi extender

checked to make sure that IP and DNS are being retrieved automatically (they are!!)

removed the power save check from wifi adapter

I have also restarted my router and extender, and regardless of which one it is connected to, i cannot view pages after 10-15 mins BUT says i am still connected to the internet with full signal.

The only way i am getting the web pages back is after restarting the laptop, which as you can imagine is now becoming very very tedious indeed. Where am I going wrong, please do not be afraid of using tech talk i understand you perfectly.

Many thanks for reading.....even more if you reply and fix my problem.

Max.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
23,939 22,296 1,913 7,030
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Greetings Maxx,

It may not be your Internet at all.  It might be on your computer.

There might be something sinister going on  - especially if this is a new issue.  OK, not sinister, just a process running that is stealing your system resource... that is, a program that is running in the background, slowly grabbing up memory and resource, until things just no longer function as they must to keep you connected to your web pages.

I'm taking part of the next bit from another Post of mine, please forgive any bits that do not quite match your situation.  It simply saves so much typing - I have read YOUR post and have an idea of your situation...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to consider / try:

• The slow down, if it is in your browser (tabs?), could benefit from clearing the cache.  Unless it's just the network and/or the websites you are visiting, clearing the cache may help clear out the "trash" from your browser and get you going again.
  • The slow down may be on your system.  You may have a "run away" or rogue process that is slowing down the system.  You can check this by running the Resource Monitor and looking for anything that is running that may be "stealing resource".  If you are convinced that you have enough native resource (RAM, disk space, cache, etc.), then this is a good place to look.

=========================================================================

Browser Cache: 

Dependent on Browser - see "Options" for most browsers.  Clear and restart the browser after you clean out the cache and cookies.

Resource Monitor:

Start > search / type "resour" > Click on "Resource Monitor

(You may also Right-Click and Send it to your Desktop as a Shortcut if you like)

NOTE:  You can also get to the Resource Monitor from within the Task Manager.

Once you get the Resource Monitor up and running, the view will probably default to Overview.  You can leave it there or Click over to CPU.  Regardless, in the CPU frame, Click on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage.  There you go.  The process using the most CPU time will be on the top.

You can highlight and the right-click to kill a process if you want. 

Process Killing:  BE CAREFUL!  If you do mess up, and kill something critical, crash the system (Press power key for ten seconds) and restart.  The computer will hate you for a minute, but should recover.  Don't do this lightly - hard crashes are "hard" on the system.

==========================================================================

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution" if the fix solves the issue.  It helps others find help faster!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

The only thing other than Chrome i have running is AVG anti virus, granted this is the first time i have run AVG on a system, but the same issues were happening prior to AVG installation.......so i am not considering AVG being an issue.....yet.

io run CCleaner to deal with performance and limit the 'crap' factor that can certainly build up........

Still got the issue so I am keeping this thread open...... but thanks for your swift reply

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

It is not likely your Anti-Virus...

CCleaner is one of the more benign of the cleaners - I've used this one.  Don't use them anymore, but this one is OK as these things go as far as I know...

The reason I brought this up is because sometimes things we run as a matter of course can sneak in and start doing the unexpected.  For example, Media Player used to have this "feature" that would cause the program to suddenly run amuck and start grabbing resource - more and more - until things just stop working.  It is supposed to be solved by now, but I've heard reports that the bug does rear its head on occasion and cause issues for an unwary user.  The only thing to do is to kill the process.

Sometimes mail programs can do this...

If you've cleared your browser cache (as suggested)... and the issue continues, and you don't have any rogues, then you have at least eliminated another variable.  As things go, this is progresss.

If your AVG software has a network monitoring software, or if you if you feel like running the Task Manager (Right-Click in the Task Bar to start it), then you might be able to see if the network is starting to drag at some point after it's been running for a while.

If I see something else that might help, I'll post back...

Good Luck!

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution" if the fix solves the issue.  It helps others find help faster!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Hey Maxx,

If you have not tried it yet, AND if the wireless is still down:

try pushing your system back "in time" with a System Restore.

(Not full Recovery, not the same thing - you don't want to install the OS unless all else fails)...

I managed to break my test system wireless, not a mean feat - it's pretty sturdy -  and then was able to get it back with a System Restore when I was done poking and prodding the router, the DNS, and the various components.

Good Luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Thanks, but the wifi still says connected but not displaying websites on any browser after 10-15mins of surfing
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Rats.

When did this start??

All websites, yes?

Have you tried:

• Different browsers?
  • Running the browser you do like in "Safe" or stripped mode.  Check options to see if your browser has something like this. For example, Firefox can run without the Addons - I am not at all sure what this would buy you, and if you Run No-Script, it could hurt you if you ran very long without that ... but it there might be a different addon in there somewhere causing a problem...

It's a notebook, 

have you tried:

• Different locations?  (Across town library / coffee shop wireless, someone else's network...)

It is not normal behavior, I know that... and it is not part of the Windows 7 setup, nor part of the standard browser logging setup to cache so much information that you'd surf yourself into a corner in ten minutes.

=================================================================================

EDITS:

If you are not using it AND if you have it turned on,

be sure you have IPV6 turned OFF in your network setup.

It will remove an additional variable and some IP services do not handle this well.

=================================================================================

Long Shot in the Dark

Can't remember, forgive me not going back this moment... have you tried reinstalling your network WiFi?

Start at the top of this page at Support and Drivers... Enter your notebook information... Go to Software and Drivers Downloads... Enter OS - Click Next.... Select Category Network and download and install your WIFi.

You could as well, just to go the Device Manager, find the WiFi, Right-Click into Properties, Uninstall and then Reboot.  The system will reinstall the Driver at Reboot / Login.

Again, not at all sure this is viable - do not do this until you have exhausted all other avenues.  It is a long shot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will come back if I think of anything else or find anything similar that may help.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

I think that i may have solved the problem by taking it all the way to factory settings.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stumped by loss of wifi

Hi Maxx,

Regarding Factory Reset:

That's a bit more extreme than just reinstalling the network / Wifi;  sometimes one cannot avoid the "total solution" to get results.

Good choice and I am glad it is fixed.

Thanks for posting back what worked.

========================================================================

Now that you have everything cleaned up...

You can go to your HP Website to gather up and update the rest of your software and Drivers:

Go to the top of the HP forum page to Support and Drivers

• Enter your Computer Model information, and then go to Software and Drivers...
  • Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu...  Scroll down

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation