Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Shame HP doesn't appear to have a "Thumbs Down" as NO none of these suggestions solved my keyboard problem despite telephone discussions!  Result was the Tech Desk sent me out a new keyboard so sorry no thumbs up with this issue 🙂 as all credit goes to your telephone customer service

HP Recommended

This doesn't seem to be an HP issue.  I have a desktop I built myself and I'm getting the problem intermittantly as well in Windows 8.1 between two completely different keyboards.

As far as I can tell, maybe a Windows driver bug?  All of the previously listed solutions have been tried and failed.

HP Recommended

How do you get to your keyboard settings if you can't log in due to this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi, I recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 and I got the same issue on Chrome (fully updated), I found that Kaspersky installed some extensions, but for any reason it added 2 virtual keyboards, so I deleted one and problem solved. I thought it was a Chrome's bug, but it's not.

HP Recommended

what any of you (especially the canned response dell employee ) fail to realize is that the problem exists in POST TIME. this means that the problem is not OS or driver based. dont believe me, fine eff off, then go and press f12 and attempt to use your keyboard in the bios menu. double steps to select options, etc etc etc.... any and all of you would have seen this if the canned dell tech would have said - "have you ran a diagnostics on the computer with f12 at bootup?" which would come back fine, but you could see during selecting in the menu your double input error. 

20 years fixing computers and my expert opinion is : 

the usb hub or controller is shorting out somwhere. i lean more twards the controller failing since it doesnt seem to matter which usb port you use when you get this issue.

i have several computers piled up on the unfixable shelf to my right that all display this same problem.

Its not the keyboard.

its not windows.

its not the driver.

why cant i get a job as a dell tech again?

HP Recommended

Just adding a quick note to tell that I just faced the (almost) exact same issue with an Alienware 18...

Was viewing a web page, and noticed my "page up" button was acting like the "home" button, bringing me to the top of the page instead of just a screen up...

So I rebooted my laptop expecting the problem to be then fixed, however, just realized that instead of the problem being fixed, noticed when I entered my password that some letters were typed twice and on top, the "backspace" key not only did not backspace at all but worse, it was either doing nothing or typing ± 10 characters (with only one press), and I do not know what they were since it was my Windows logon password I was trying to input, so all that appeared were black dots...

So I went into the BIOS to fake-change my password, just to realize the problem was there as well.

Called Dell and explained the situation, and their solution is to replace the keyboard, its cable AND THE MOTHERBOARD !

I've been using computers since 1990, and it's the first time I'm facing (or hear about) this issue.

Hopefully, this will fix it but I'm still wondering WTH happened that could cause that.

Interestingly enough, this happened a few days after they changed my previous keyboard which had an issue with the "enter" key...

Time will tell, but at the end of the day, it looks like this issue is related to the Mobo.

Good luck to all,

eYe

HP Recommended

I am the original poster, KKaatthhyy - the solution to the problem is NOT to replace hardware, change settings, etc. This is an intermittent problem, and my solution is to sign out & then sign back in. I assume that the problem is some weird little virus, or a failure in the laptop's programming.

I also have a touchpad mouse that apparently runs away from home on a regular basis. Unless HPs have improved remarkably (& based on the fact that people are still "solving" my problem 2 years later), I am on my last (only) HP laptop. There are other issues I have been enjoying as well, but the double letter thing would have made my dissertation really hard to write.  Anyway, how I fix the problem every time:

1. I log out.

2. I sign in.

3. It works.

4. It is easy, and a yet a huge, pointless pain in the ass. I have never had this happen on any other computer. Ever, since 1989. I am looking forward to the day this mutant beast crashes, and I can get something else entirely. ASUS. SONY. iMac. Literally anything else.  

HP Recommended

I am the orignal poster.

You solve the problem by logging off, and then signing back in. I have to do this with the mouse as well. Lots of freezing, still. Lots of crashes, still. Sometimes a few months will go by with no problems, and then, oh, yeah, they start again, and I am reminded that my HP laptop is crap. 

Yes, two years later I have the same problem(s), and, much to my astonishment, HP has shown no interest in resolving them. Thanks for all the tech support, HP! Luv ya! keep working as hard as you are, and you will all be outsourced by Indians & Chinese on H1Bs! Hewlett & Packard are surely spinning in their graves. 

My final solution is this: when this piece of crap finally crashes (and I put everything in dropbox, EVERY night, with a little prayer that the laptop will die soon) I will never buy another. Sony, ASUS, Mac, I don't care. A gerbil on a tiny bicycle. Anything that isn't an HP.  Because the technical support is worthless.  

HP Recommended

Hello KKaatthhyy,

I am really sorry to hear you are still fighting to get your issue resolved after 2 years, it's a shame! :HalfEyes:

Regarding your "solution", I am happy it's working for you but in my own case, it wouldn't work as I can't even logon into Windows as some letters are typed twice and the backspace key is not working –or even worse, it types ± 10 characters with only 1 press– so basically, I have no way to even login to Windows —and my password is kinda 15 characters long...

Furthermore, even when inside the BIOS of the machine, letters are still typed twice, so it's not Windows, it's not drivers, and I sincerely doubt the keyboard would show such weird behavior, just by itself.  This tends to confirm –at least in my own case– dizzleD's theory about a usb hub or controller shorting out somwhere. Or something related.

Also, I forgot to mention but a few days before the problem occured, I flashed my BIOS (updated from v9 to v10, file downloaded from Dell's website); for what it's worth, this might as well have caused the issue I am facing...

Lucky me, my warranty expires mid-August; would have been furious if the issue would have appeared on August the 20th say...

Back on your own issue, I guess you're out of warranty, but I would try this if I was you:

1. Update the BIOS for your particular machine, providing HP has a BIOS update for it;
  2. Since you suspect some weird virus or so, you might wanna run a Full Scan with your AV and also with MalwareBytes;
  3. If neither one works, and you still suspect some malicious program, you might be infected by a RootKit;
  4. If you have insurances, maybe you can help it to accidentally crash sooner than later :smileywink:.

Last but not least, if you change your computer, you might wanna go with a MacBook as:

• Mac OS is way far less affected by such malicious programs —not that there's none but there's far less;
  • Mac OS is much easier to learn and use than Windows, and is way more efficient, in every way;
  • You can install and use almost every program on a Mac computer that you use on your PC;
  • Should you still need to run Windows, you can certainly install it on your MacBook, on top of Mac OS;
  • I am using a MBP (MacBookPro) to post this message as my AW is completely useless until they come to change my MoBo...

With all that said, I sincerely hope you will be able to fix your issue very soon.

Best,

eYe

HP Recommended

Re: Suddenly my keyboard is typing every letter twice

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.