cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jen653
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

HP 2000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant icon shows action is needed but I can't open it.  I've tried with the icon on my taskbar and by going to both my desktop and control panel and can't open it anyway I try.  I've also tried to troubleshoot it by running as administrator and by troubleshooting compatibility from the desktop icon but it still won't open.  The logo (for lack of a better word) flashes on the screen and sometimes I even get a pop up that says do you want this program to make changes but that is as far as it will go.

I have also tried to uninstall the program but I get 2 different messages -  1st - System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation and 2nd - you do not have sufficient access to uninstall HP Support Assistant.  Please contact your system administrator.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 434
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Hi there @Jen653,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the HP Setup Assistant. I will be glad to help you.

From your description, sounds like you are not signed in as administrator.

Try running HP Setup assistant as administrator.

Try logging off and logging in as administrator.

How to Create a New User in Windows 7

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Jen653
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Not sure what you mean by sign on as administrator.  I am the only user on this PC.  The icon on the desktop has the option of running as administrator and it will go as far as asking if I want the program to make any changes to this computer but it won't go any further than that. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 434
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Hi @Jen653,

The fact it has option to run as administrator, show there are more then one account on the computer.

There should be a option to say yes to run as administrator. if you still can not run program, check for virus and malware.

About Spyware, Adware, and Browser Hijacking Software.

HP PCs - Resolving and Preventing Viruses on Your Computer (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

If still can not get to work can backup documents and restore to point computer was working.

Please get bacxk to me how thing went.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jen653
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Checked my user accounts and I am the only user and it shows me as the administrator so any time I log in I should be logged on as administrator. 

My last Norton 360 regular full system scan showed no problems except for tracking cookies and I also ran Norton's  "Power Eraser" and it shows  no malware or other threats. 

I will have to try to restore but it may take me a few days to get the time to do it. 

Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how things go.

0 Kudos
Jen653
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Tried to do a restore but there is only one restore point that will come up and it is AFTER the problem started.  I checked the "show other restore dates" but no other dates come up.  Any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 434
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Support System Assistant

Hi @Jen653,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation