cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kirby-H
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

System won't boot to my internal DVD drive

HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7-6113CL
Windows 7

After receiving an imminent HDD failure warning, I replaced my internal hard drive and have been trying to use the Recovery Media (DVDs) I created to reboot my system. I get the error message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" even though I have chosen Internal CD/DVD ROM as the first boot drive choice. When I go into the Startup Menu at bootup there seems to be a conflict between F9 Boot Device Options and F10 System Configuration-Boot Order. F9 does not give me a CD/DVD ROM choice; only the internal HDD or a USB ext HD or key drive. Under F10 I can change the boot order to show the CD/DVD ROM as the first boot drive choice, but that never shows up under F9.  I am pretty confident my Recovery Media are good. But the system doesn't seem to want recognize any DVD.

It will, however, recognize USB devices. Is there a way I can configure the USB ext HD as a boot device?

By the way, when I reinstall the old HDD, the system works just fine (except for the warnings). And the DVD drive works fine, too.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is possible the Recovery Disks are bad. Do you have another machine you could test them on to see if they are bootable? F9 should give you the cd/dvd option no matter what boot order is set in BIOS-If there is bootable media detected.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Kirby-H
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the disks are bootable in two other machines. 

0 Kudos
marcovip
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I read your Reply  it is unfortune u did not read carfully before you reply 

i have the same proble with my :pavilion 15-AB063CL 

i have updated all softwear /drivers including BIOS. i have changed every recomndations that i found in google search.

if that perdon or me are in form help is we are froustrated of all those recomndation , we thought there are some well

knowldge persons ,which they will give us right instructions to solve our issue.

as i said i have tried all those , still on boot option : there is no more than 2 option to chose

1-booting from HD

2-booting from  a file 

i belive the other person was in the same shooes that i am .

we have done everything possible  but no luck 

i have done using the same DVD and USB  on my desktop works perfectly  but  have no Idea why this laptop that i just bought . and  windows is  all i have , 

so if you have knowldgw of  why  or how to solve this issue , please write 

you had to understand  we have done  everything with no luck , then we post it here

that is sad  to read responsses like yours 

please avoid answering if you are not knowldgebale person ,becouse we spend time these responses 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation