Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
YdocZ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

T-mobile Mobile Broadband doesn't even Appear

HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k111nr S
Windows 8.1

I purchased a HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k111nr Sleekbook that came with T-mobile Mobile Broadband for 2 years from the Microsoft Store two months ago.

When I clicked 'Internet Access', there would be a 'Mobile Broadband' option for me to choose and select the T-mobile Mobile Broadband. Unfortunately, that has not been appearing since the last few days. I checked my hardware and it appears that there still is a 'Smart Card' but with no information regardin it. I also checked the HP Support Assistant and HP Utility Center but they had nothing. I have tried removing the card and placing it back again. The computer emits the sound that recognizes new hardware but no installater comes up

Searching forums, I tried downloading the HP Connection Manager, but it failed to install when an error message ' NO WWAN' came up

I also downloaded and reinstalled the latest Mobile Broadband Drivers but nothing happened. In fact, I suspect that it maybe the new updated drivers that caused my T-mobile SIM card to be disabled.

I have tried calling HP support but they cannot help and demand payment for 'advanced tech support' when my Laptop is still under Warranty. I tried calling T-mobile, but they said that it was a problem that I needed to contact HP for. I contacted Microsoft that said I need to get in touch with T-mobile. The second call on HP, they told me to contact T-mobile, One big circle.

TL;DR: I need the installer for my T-mobile SIM Card, mobile broadband. The HP Mobile Broadband drivers don't work. 

7 REPLIES
16263 205 848
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@YdocZ ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
YdocZ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have received an Email from an HP representative and sent him the appropriate response with his requested details. However, I received no confirmation at all. Hopefully some forum members will be able to help remedy this situation for me.

0 Kudos
dmandy Tutor
Tutor
12 0 2
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ydocz - did you ever find a resolution to this problem? i have the same issue on 3 different envy touchsmart 14-k sleekbooks

0 Kudos
warrenbee Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ihave the same issue and I am tired of going in circles.  I will be contacting the BBB as well as the consumer protection agency.  This was to be my backup emergency data texting for my family.  I am very upset with the false advertising!!

0 Kudos
dmandy Tutor
Tutor
12 0 2
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

after many hours spent over the course of several weeks i found a reasonable workaround solution but i cant find the link right now - ill look for it late tonight and either post it or try to recreate the instructions myself - basically it involves manually installing the win7 driver/s from the setup files

0 Kudos
dmandy Tutor
Tutor
12 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have found a workaround to resolve this issue on my three 14k Sleekbooks running Windows 8.1, at least for now.

It is an inelegant solution, but it has been working for me for a couple weeks with no noticeable problems - no thanks at all to the collective incompetence of HP Support on these forums, on the chat, on the phone, on email (with a case manager), or with an at-home tech. Don't bother attempting any of their stock troubleshooting recommendations, especially more involved ones like reinstalling your OS or opening up your machine. In spite of their stubborn and ridiculous assertions to the contrary, the problem is with their driver - it lacks the appropriate setup files for Windows 8/8.1.

In any case, you will first need to go to the support page for your laptop and download and install the latest HP Mobile Broadband Drivers (for me it is SP70431). This will not work but you need the files it creates.

Next, go to C:\SWSetup\SP70431\drivers\Win7X64.

Right-click and install each of the .inf (Setup Information) files in the folder. Restart may or may not be required, I can't remember.

(If you're curious, you can check out any of the Win8 or Win8.1 folders and see that they do not contain all the requisite .inf files.)

Errors in Device Manager should disappear, Mobile Broadband will be visible as a Networking option again, and most importantly, the mobile broadband will work assuming you have your T-Mobile (or other provider) account set up.

Arsena Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much. T-Mobile told me they no longer support "the app" that allows you to connect via T-Mobile on a laptop, and said to ask HP. HP charges a minimum of $15, and I know they wouldn't have been able to help with this. Thanks so much for this workaround - it worked like a charm. At first I installed the .inf file in the 8.1/x64 folder, thinking that you were giving instructions for Windows 7. Then I reread your instructions and realized I needed to install the 7/x64 inf files even for my Windows 8.1 os. The T-Mobile popped up like a miracle after I did so. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation