Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC reboots with THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER. WINDOWS 10

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BGM11

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand there is an error on the BSOD - "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER REBOOT WINDOWS 10",

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help your cause:

Update video card drivers

Outdated corrupted video card drivers can be the main cause, so make sure you have the latest driver for your video card. If there is a problem with the video card driver, in Device Manager, you probably would a yellow mark next to the device.

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Update sound card drivers

Problematic sound card drivers can also be the cause.
Updating the sound card driver and see if the problem resolves.
Also, if you have issues with updating drivers using the HPSA, use the HP Support website instead.

Keep computer and video card adequately cool

Overheating can cause your video card’s chipset to lock up, so make sure your PC and your video card are adequately cooled.

Upgrade power supply

If you are using a desktop PC, try upgrading your computer’s power supply. If the power supply is in poor quality, it will be unable to provide adequate power to all your computer’s components. In this case, it may result in a “brown out” of sorts in your system. Remove the old power supply and replace it with a more appropriate one. If you are sure how to do this, go to the near computer repair shop for check and have it fixed.

Run a hardware diagnostics test: Click here for details.

Reply back with the results and the product number of your PC, for further assistance

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  

Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I am having the same issue after windows 10 installation.'thread stuck in device driver'. And it wont even open.
The problem with me is my video card has been damaged and and it cannot be recovered. So is there a way i can solve this.
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Priyadarshi22, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you are getting error THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you installed a retail copy of windows 10 on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to help you better.

Update video card drivers

Outdated corrupted video card drivers can be the main cause, so make sure you have the latest driver for your video card. If there is a problem with the video card driver, in Device Manager, you probably would a yellow mark next to the device.

You can go to the PC manufacturer’s website or the device manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver. If you are using a brand computer, it’s recommended that you go to the PC manufacturer’s website first, as you can download the best-matched driver there. 

If you have difficulty with downloading drivers manually, you can use Driver Easy to help you. Driver Easy can scan your computer and detect all problem drivers on your computer, then give you a list of new drivers. Driver Easy has a Free version and Professional version. With Professional version, to update all drivers, you just need to click your mouse 2 times. 

Update sound card drivers

Problematic sound card drivers can also be the cause. Updating the sound card driver and see if the problem resolves. Also, if you have a problem with updating drivers manually, use Driver Easy.

Updating drivers mostly would solve the problem. If your problem persists, try solutions below.

Keep computer and video card adequately cool

Overheating can cause your video card’s chipset to lock up, so make sure your PC and your video card are adequately cooled.

Your machine does NOT have Win10 drivers.

Since it's unlikely that new drivers are going to be written for a Win7-era machine.

Use HP recovery media to restore your machine to its original working condition.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.