cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
simong_1984
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

TPM on HP 250 G4 running Windows 7 x64 Pro - Is it possible?

HP Recommended
HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

We are supplying a customer with a laptop whichrequires the following spec;

• TPM
  • Windows 7 x64 Pro
  • Sub £500

Many of the laptops specify "Firmware TPM requires Windows 8.1 and Broadwell CPU (Intel Core i5-5200U, i3-5005U or Intel Pentium 3825U processors).". I have a hard time believing Windows 7 x64 Pro is not compatible with TPM and Bitlocker on these laptops. I have got the 250 G4 TPM working with Windows 10 x64 Pro. I'm hoping it is actually compatible with Windows 7 as well, otherwise HP are selling a laptop with a feature that cannot be used. 

Can anyone clarify this for me please? 

Many thanks,

Simon 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,329 119,506 19,525 29,845
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Simon:

There is a patch from Microsoft to allow for TPM 2.0 to work on W7 64 bit.

But don't you need W7 Ultimate to use Bitlocker?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2920188

You can see that I solved this person's issue below who also has a 250 G4.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/WINDOWS-CANOT-find-DRIVER-FOR-UNKOWN-HARD-WARE-ACPI-...

I uploaded the file for him, but it is the same one on the link I posted.

Here is a link to what the W7 versions supported...According to the list, Bitlocker is only supported on Ultimate and Enterprise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14422-compare-windows-7-editions.html

simong_1984
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, you are correct. It is only W7 Ultimate and Enterprise. I think I was getting mixed up with W10 Pro being compatible with Bitlocker. Not a problem though, we can supply a W7 Ultimate license within the price. That certainly sounds promising.

I guess my next questions are;

1. Is there anywhere that states the 250 G4s are running TPM 2.0? The data spec sheets don't seem to state this.
  2. Do you know if the patch you posted is applicable to all 250 G4's with either Intel/AMD chipsets, or is it AMD chipsets only?

Thank you again for your time.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,329 119,506 19,525 29,845
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if every product number 250 G4 has one.

You would probably have to contact HP sales or technical support to get confirmation.

The fact that yours does, and the other guy's did, is encouraging.

The patch is applicable to the Intel ones for sure, and if a HP 255 G4 (AMD) after installing W7, has an unknown device with the hardware ID of ACPI\MSFT0101, then the patch should work for that platform too.

250 G4's are the Intel based notebooks, and the 255 G4's are the AMD based notebooks.

RB67
3 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Congratulations!!!  What steps did you take to get bitlocker working on the HP 250 G4 Widnows 10 unit?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation