cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tdjok1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Telephone Scam?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 14

Received a call 12/15/16 on my cell phone from someone claiming to be from HP and noting that our computer was sending errors to the HP main server. He claimed to know relevant info about the computer such as purchase date, warrnaty expiration date and serial number. He said he wanted to help me correct the errors. I asked him for a call back number since I was busy at the time. He gave the number 800-478-9569. Is this legit?

Thank you.     

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,150 119,327 19,487 29,781
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The call was not legit.

No one from HP, Microsoft, Dell, etc., will ever call you out of the blue and tell you there is something wrong with your PC.

A lot of these folks are very clever too.  They may address you by name, and even know the model number and/or serial number of your PC.

No matter how convincing they seem to be, it is a scam, and I recommend you hang up right away.

0 Kudos
tdjok1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you for such a quick response. I appreicate the information and will know better how to handle these calls in the future.

tdjok1

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,150 119,327 19,487 29,781
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
LSTS
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just received a phone scam from someone saying they were from HP and yes he knew what system i was running and dates etc.  He said that the PC was putting out information on the website.  I told him I would call back using the HP phone numbers found on their website.  He hung up.  He did know a lot about my HP.  Be careful

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation