cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 10
5,568 5,441 387 899
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The AMD video driver for my notebook is outdated. Is there an easy way to update it?

The driver listed for your notebook with a Radeon graphics card may be outdated, but there may be an option to update it. 

AMD highly recommends using teh OEM's driver as notebooks are customized by the OEM, but some users have a need or desire to have the newest driver availalbe.  

I have used Valve's Steam platform for years to udpate my ATI/AMD drivers for my notebook and desktops with a Radeon card.  Do note that Steam is developed by Valve and is not associated with HP.

This method is not commonly known outside the gaming community and I would like to share this method.

1.  Install Steam from store.steampowered.com.

2.  Once it is installed and an account is created, sign in.

3.  Click Steam at the top-left of the page.

4.  Select Check for Video Driver Updates.

5.  It will scan your hardware and detect the newest driver and software for the Radeon card.

6.  If there is anything new, it will prompt to install.  Follow the prompts.  If there is nothing new, it will indicate you have the newest already.  

The above method is what I consider the easiest way to get AMD driver updates for Radeon cards.  If it is a switchable graphics system, it should work as long as the AMD card is active.  

My notebook is switchable graphics and this has worked for me.  However, there are some cases of switchable graphics where this may not work.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 10
5,568 5,441 387 899
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The AMD video driver for my notebook is outdated. Is there an easy way to update it?

I hope this helps.  :generic:

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation