Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ac628TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,  I have a Pavilion 15-ac628TX notebook that is 14 months old, since I bought it new.

The light for the Caps Lock key has recently stopped lighting up.

Which makes it a pain when typing in a letter in capital letters or lower case.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@productuser

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the Caps Lock key light is no longer lighting up,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you confirmed if the number lock and the scroll lock lights still work?

Did you update the BIOS and the drivers for keyboard?

Have you checked with any related HP Forums post to find a solution?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
What's a Number Lock and Scroll Lock Light?

I don't usually do anything with the BIOS, let alone know how to access it when the notebook is starting up.

I haven't checked any other forums.
HP Recommended

Hi @productuser,

I read the post. Great effort displayed to try and correct the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please perform the steps mentioned in the previous post if has not been done already.

Then please try to check in bios if the capslock light glows.

Steps to go to the bios:

• · please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • · It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios  
  • Check here if the caps lock key lights up.
  • If it does not then the computer's keyboard has a hardware issue and needs
  • to be replaced.
  • Then press F9 key to load setup defaults and select yes and push “enter.”
  • Then press F10 to save changes and exit and check Gin if the capslock key works or lights up.

• If it does not, please contact Hp phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions to reach HP phone support and get the keyboard replaced.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for those tips.

I restarted my notebook and pressed the F10 key to go through to the BIOS. (I have read of BIOS before, but I'm not familiar with what it does and its function and purpose) Anyway, the light on the top right of my caps lock key still does not light up.

I bought my notebook in March 2016, so it must be out of warranty by 2 months.

I guess the whole keyboard/motherboard needs to be replaced and would be expensive.

I think the nearest HP service agent to Hobart must be over in Melbourne.

Also, that would mean I would not be in possession and use of my notebooks for a few weeks.

Andrew

HP Recommended

Hi @productuser,

I read the quick response. I appreciate you greatly for trying these steps out.  Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 Please follow these instructions and check if the caps lock key glows and in the F11 recovery manager in command prompt.

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.
  • Please check in the command prompt if the keyboard works with the caps lock key pressed and if the letters are typed in upper case.
  • If it still does not work, then the computer has a hardware issue and the keyboard needs to be replaced.

Please contact Hp phone support to get this done.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.