Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy

My keyboard on my hp envy is not functioning correctly.  All the other keys work besides my enter, backspace and the caplocks key backlight won't light up when I click on it. The 3 buttons will not work on any document or site I open.  The only way to delete what I'm typing is  if I highlight the words and type over them. Can I bring my laptop to the microsoft store and get it fix or do I have to buy a wireless key pad for it to work? I really Don't want to

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jenniferdong94

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Envy laptop. I read that the enter and the backspace keys do not work and also the capslock led does not work. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did the keys stop working by themselves or was there a liquid spillage, etc. on the keyboard?

Let us run a hardware test on the keyboard because other keys work fine. Please follow the below steps to run the test:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Keyboard - Quick interactive functional test of the keys on the keyboard. Click Keyboard, then Run once. The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

If the test fails then you may continue to use the laptop using a USB keyboard if not a wireless keyboard. And to get the existing keyboard repaired, you may contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

The key suddenly stopped working on its own one day when I decided to do school work. I remember updating my computer and then a couple of days after. The keys would not work.  I will run the test and get backto you about it

HP Recommended
I ran the test and all the keys were working besides the backspace, enter, backslash and up and down error.

I couldn't determine if the test past or fail because it told me to determine the results which doesn't give a definite answer if the test passed or failed since I'm choosing the result
HP Recommended
My warranty on my laptop expired last year. Is there still any way I can receive help? Thank you.
HP Recommended

@Jenniferdong94

Thanks for replying with the results. 

The test results indicate that the keyboard test failed because during the test those keys did not function. 

You may contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. As the laptop is out of warranty, there could be a chargeable service. 

Let me know if you have any questions. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.