cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dv62170us Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The cmos battery socket in my Dv6 2170us

the cmos battery holder/socket broke on the side and is missing a pice of the socket so the cmos battery ( CR2032) will not stay in. I would like to know if I can do either of the following.

1. get a CR2032 battery shrink wrap it and solder a lead to the top and bottom and then solder the leads to the copper contacts in the socket.

2. buy a cmos battery that is for a dv6000 that is already shrink wrapped with leads and solder the leads to the copper prongs in the cmos battery socket.

If anyone would like to see a picture of what I am talking about I would be glad to take one and send it. I do not see a way to include a image here?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
312 300 42 68
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Technically speaking, yes, you can rig up a setup by soldering some wires to the battery and to the contacts in the CMOS socket on the moherboard. As long as the electricity from the board can make it to the contacts, it should do the job.

I would personally not recommend soldering on a battery unless you have experience doing so. The extra heat can cause the battery to explode. I would just use a piece of black electricians tape to hold the battery in or something else that is non-condutive. No, it wouldn't be as solid a fix as soldering, but it should do the trick if you end up not soldering on the battery. If you do the soldering, you will want to make sure the wires are completely insulated or taped up individually or you could short the board.

0 Kudos
dv62170us Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Inside the socket there are 2 copper contacts I assume positive and negitive. I would rather buy a cmos battery that is already covered with shrink wrap and the wires are already soldered to the battery. The ones I see have black and white wires that go to a connector. I could cut the connector off and solder the wires to the copper prongs in the broken socket.

I just have no idea which is positive or negitive.

I tried to tape it inplace and it won't stay becasue the prong on the bottom is pressing against the bottom of the battery so it is pushing the battery upwards, so tape is not working for me.

If I knew which copper prong is the positive and negitive I could buy the cmos battery that is alreadywrapped with electrical shrink wrap and had a red and white wire.

Since the bottom of the battery goes does I can assume that it is (-) negitive, the top of the battery has a (+) positive on it

Any ideas???

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
26,040 24,632 3,552 7,933
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV.

Getting ready to leave work so I will make this short.

I will post back when I get home.

I could send you a few of the holders.

Back soon.

REO

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
312 300 42 68
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have several of these CMOS batteries both shrinkwrapped and non. The top of the CR2032 is the +, the bottom is the -. All of the batteries I have have the red wire going to the top of the battery. That means the prong on the bottom of the socket that pushes the battery back out would be your negative terminal and the two other prongs near the back side of the socket are your positve contacts.

0 Kudos
dv62170us Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes Daniel.

It would be the easiest way to fix this is to buy a CR2032 cmos battery that is already covered and has leads. I could cut the connector off and solder the negitive to the bottom prong and the positive to the side prongs.

I hate to throw away a perfectly good laptop, Nobody in my area will work on the laptop for this issue, that is why I want to try a fix around and see if it works and if not I will by a new one.

Thanks to all of you who are replying I will keep my eye on this thread all night.

Ron

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dv.

Sorry took a while to get home.

I have replaced the battery holder for that laptop and others many times.

The black retaining piece that the battery slides under seems to be at fault.

We have 1000's of scrap laptops that I could unsolder a few for you.

You could use something like the IBM bios battery and it would work fine."I also have many of these."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-BIOS-RTC-BACKUP-CMOS-BATTERY-FOR-IBM-THINKPAD-T40-T41-T42-T43-/25157...

But if you want to keep it all original I could send you a few of the battery holders."Free of charge"

Let me know what you decide.

We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

REO

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
dv62170us Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would rather not have to pay to take the laptop apart and replace the holder. I aapreciate the offer very much. I like the link you sent me and that option would be the easiest and less expensive for me.  would one like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hp+dv6000+cmos+battery&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=34...

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV.

That will work.

If you need any pictures and assistance on the connections let me know.

REO

0 Kudos
dv62170us Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank again Dean for offering the help. I think I will buy the cmos battery at Amazon.com  ( the link in my last post)

IT has a red and black wire so I assme black is negitive, I would appreciate if you would tell me what you think is the best way to solder the leads from the battery I buy to the copper prongs in the holder. I uploaded a picture with the prongs numbered, if you could tell me what color wire should be soldered to which prong I would appreciate it very much.

Here is the link to the picture I took

http://www.cyberpi.com/images/cmos.jpg

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation