Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The remote procedure call failed

HP Envoy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this laptop for just a week. Yesterday I started to encounter a problem whereby when I attempted to open a photograph through the Photo application I received a blank screen with a dialogue stating "The remote procedure call failed". Furthermore when I attempted to access many other applications .E.G. Calculator, Camera, Maps, People Skype, to name a few,  a screen would flash and that would be it. When I encountered this I contacted HP support and they logged into my laptop and the solution was to create a new id. That might have been satisfactory as a one-off but now it has happened to two other ids on the laptop.

I have installed no other software on the laptop other than what came with it. To say I am fed up with this would be an understatement. As I said I have only had the laptop a week.

Can anybody offer a solution for this problem before I send the laptop back to HP to restore and sort out. Perhaps you can understand my utter frustration.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance and advice.

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Wairds,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you! In your post, you had said that currently your HP ENVY Notebook is having an error message appear stating the remote procedure call failed. Try this in the profile with the error:

1. Click "Start", then click "Settings".
2. Click the first option "System".
3. On the left side second from the bottom, click "Default Apps".
4. Click the name of the App under Photo Viewer.
5. Select "Windows Photo Viewer".

Please get back to me how this goes.

If this post helps you to resolve the issue you can click the Thumbs up icon to show gratitude!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mrstenter,

First of all, many thanks for getting back to me.

I followed your instructions up to step 5. On that step there is no option to select an app called Windows Photo Viewer. I have Photos, Paint, Power Media Player, Snapfish and an option to 'Look for an app in the Store.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Wairds,

Try selecting the Photos. 

Let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mrstenter,

It does nothing when I select Photos. Furthermore against the app there is just a blue square with no image, similar to other apps.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Wairds,

Thanks for getting back to me. Did you install a Virus protection program?

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed Kaspersky.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Wairds,

Here is some help as Kapersky is blocking the apps or causing this error.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow. 

Whilst i I understand this may cause a problem with the other apps, would it also account for the Remote Procedure Call issue?

regards.

0 Kudos
Wairds Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your assistance.

I have checked Kaspersky and none of the affected applications are being blocked.

Regards

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation