cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cooperator
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

The system didn't detect a cooling fan which is operating correctly

HP Recommended

Hi,

Although there is no heating under my laptop when touch it, I am hearing a fan noise. Also, sometimes when I restart or turn on my computer I face a message telling that 'The system didn't detect a cooling fan which is operating correctly'

I really am faced this message ''The system didn't detect a cooling fan which is operating correctly'' when I installed the HP support assistant. Do you think  the issue is probably related to that software program and is not heat related?

I have attached an audio file fcontaing a recording sound for that noise produced by my fan. I would like anyone  to kindly donload it and hear to it?

[edited links by moderator]

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
parvez_tech
Level 9
1,373 1,360 112 269
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

In HP Support Assistant check for any pending updates..If there are then complete all available updates and check.

Or,

Just follow the steps from these links :

System Fan (90b) error message on startup

Reducing Fan Noise

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,961 42,200 4,644 12,411
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, but I don't know you or trust files you have put here for download.

Follow the troubleshooting on the document at the following URL for a CPU fan error. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03620929

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot both of you.

You don't know me, so do I. But I ensure you that my files are safe. They are the same file but on two different file-hosting services. It is a recording file containing the sound produced from my fan. In fact, that sound is very high sometimes. I can say it as the sound of a Shaving machine when working. There is no heating under my computer.

I remember that I have seen a program supported by HP which can let me show if the fan of my processor is operating well or not. I really don't recall that program so far. Could you please let me know what kind of program that is? I s it a built-in the HP support assistant. I don't see this in the new version of HPSA

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@parvez_tech wrote:

Hi,

In HP Support Assistant check for any pending updates..If there are then complete all available updates and check.

Or,

Reducing Fan Noise

Thanks a lot,

I think you you are right, but how can I clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings? I will need to open the case of my laptop to see the fan and and clean van very well.

I have these questions:

First How can I Ensure that the system fan blades spin correctly, and that the fan is not producing loud noises. If not working correctly, replace the system fan.?

Second: What is the Thremal compound if I need to Remove old thermal compound from integrated circuits and heat sinks, and replace with new thermal compound.?

Finally:  I know that there is only the fan of the CPU, howver, I don't know that there is a fan of System. What is the system fan(Ensure that wires from the system and CPU fans are connected to the motherboard securely.)

I really have done these things::

1- I have updated the BIOS to VersionF.1B the latest version. No difference was there.

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@parvez_tech wrote:

Hi,

Or,

Reducing Fan Noise

I always see my power plan is set to 'balanced'

HP.JPG

Why I need to restart when changing it to 'power saver' I wasn't asked to do so.

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could anyone at this splendied forum take some of his precious time out to address this problem of mine?

NB: The error is still sometimes showing me whenever I restart or just turn it on? ALso, the fan noise is annoying me very much, although there is no heat at all when I touch under the place under the fan.

The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.

When I let the 15 seconds leave, then my laptop shut down. However, when click 'enter', then it boots well.

When it shuts down after the 15 seconds have passed, then when I turn it on again, I didn't face this error message.

However, when I come to Windows, I face In addition to that error, the system fan spins  faster and become louder(much noise).

I really have don these steps:::::

First: I Performed a hard reset.

Second: I updated the BIOS to the latest one

Third: I changed the power plan from 'balanced' into 'power saver', but the fan is still louder.

Should I proceed to the final step: open my laptop case, and then remove dust from the fan?

Have the computer serviced to clean internal components and replace the system fan if necessary. Ensure that the following items are addressed during servicing:

• Thoroughly remove dust from all internal cooling components.
  • Ensure that wires from the system and CPU fans are connected to the motherboard securely.
  • Ensure that the system fan blades spin correctly, and that the fan is not producing loud noises. If not working correctly, replace the system fan.
  • Remove old thermal compound from integrated circuits and heat sinks, and replace with new thermal compound.

0 Kudos
parvez_tech
Level 9
1,373 1,360 112 269
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please post the Product Number of your notebook (Do not post the serial number) so that i can provide solutions specific to your model. 

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

About the program that you are looking for is it HP Coolsense or HP Thermal Assistant?...(Thermal Assistant is no longer available and Coolsense may or may not be compatible with your model..)

HP CoolSense Technology

For cleaning the fan vents you can refer the following posts..

1.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-do-u-clean-the-fan-air-vents-of-the-HP-...

2. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-open-case-of-G60-418CA-HP-notebook-t...

Regarding opening the notebook and replacing the fan or thermal module, CPU etc  is something we wouldnt recommend you to do unless you are familiar with the process or have done it before.

If your notebook is still under warranty or within 4 years of purchase then i would suggest to call technical support and they should be able to arrange a repair for you. 

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

My produce name and number are as follows:

Product name: HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC support

Product number: LM610EA#A2N

NOTE: This error below is almost always shown to me whenever trun on my computer or sometimes when restart it.

The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.

However, When I let the 15 seconds leave, then my laptop shuts down. However, when click 'enter', then it boots well.

When I turn it on again after shuting down from due to that error ,  I didn't face this error message.

When I come to Windows I hear fan noise. Thus, will this hurm my computer in the future if this problem didn't solve completely. Yes, when I come to Windows, there is no heat, although the fan noise is much louder.

By the way, I donwnloaded a PDF file for Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PCHP G60 Notebook PCMaintenance and Service GuideDocument Part Number: 488764-002. It will help me.

parvez_tech
Level 9
1,373 1,360 112 269
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The pdf file you have downloaded may not be the right User Guide for your notebook.

Here are the links for your notebook.

HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC User guides

Just make sure you have the latest BIOS update also.

HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Drivers

It shouldnt cause any problem till the fan is running and notebook is not overheating. If it becomes too frequent then would still recommend to check it through a hardware tech or hp tech support.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation