Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SnakeSK Tutor
Tutor
9 0 3
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To HP Engineers - HP ZBook dock issues findings

ZBook Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, as a new customer I was doing some research regarding the problems of ZBook dock that I, and others are experiencing. I ran into some issues that I have resolved myself with various workarounds and tweaks. I currently have config T7V54EA#BCM, 6700HQ + M2000M, hybrid GPU enabled, VT/VT-d enabled, pure NVMe storage and Win 10 Ent 1607 latest build

Issue: Flickering monitor while launching apps that use D3D and they switch fullscreen (games eg.)

Workaround: I have found that this is an issue with any Visual Studio 2008, 2010 and 2012. For me, the issues started to arise when Visual C++ component got installed. Upon launching an app that wants to switch fullscreen while leaving the shell, the monitors started flickering, eventually they came up ok, but it looked like the dock wanted to reinitialize display.

What I also found out, is having installed ANY kind of a debugger also triggers this issue. Also be aware that the latest nvidia quadro drivers with Device Guard enabled, will cause the machine to BSoD upon restart, the dock must be hot-plugged, not cold-plugged to not to exhibit BSoD on 1607.

Working driver for me and my customers for this setup is 21.21.13.7586 from 10.11.2016 (thats dd/mm/yyyy). On the latest Intel Drivers (21.20.16.4542 - 15.45 release), be sure to disable PSR - Panel Self Refresh, this also solves the flickering within Windows Shell with hybrid graphics enabled (even on internal monitor).

Issue: USB not being recognized after cold boot.

Workaround: I have tracked this down to a Fast Startup issue. I believe that HP cannot resolve this, as Thunderbolt is sitting on a PCIe bus, and anything that is stored in the memory regarding that bus will not be woken up on the next boot. Since Fast Startup is a combination of S5 state + kernel written to page file, the thunderbolt bus won´t get reinitialized on the "cold" boot of operating system. For HP, the best thing would be to build an SP, that disables this feature, or work with Intel on detecting the resume state and restarting the thunderbolt bus detection / service. Or Intel could flag the driver not to be stored in a pagefile upon "shutdown".

Issue: monitor resolution not being set to native, but a random resolution that is lower than the native one

Workaround: I think the issue here is nVidia GPU not picking up the correct DDC/EDID data when using any kind of adapter, what I found out, is when you´re using passive DVI to DP adapter, the monitors with DVI-I inputs (also analog), exhibit this far more often, the issue is less often found on monitor with single link DVI-D inputs. Far less people with DP > HDMI report this, because HDMI is pure digital, whereas DP is as Digital as Analog capable. Dont have a Thunderbolt monitor to test, sorry, I tested this setup with about 20 monitor from different brands and resolutions, through official HP DisplayPort to DVI Adapters. To solve this problem, setup custom resolution for that monitor, and it will come up with that resolution, this can be done in nVidia CP.

I also updated the Thunderbolt driver to version 16.2.55.275 with NVM FW 16.00. Everything downloaded from Intel, nVidia or HP, where newer version was available. Currently no issues on mine setup. But for the future customers, I wanted to share this with HP.

1 REPLY
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
538 27 215
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To HP Engineers - HP ZBook dock issues findings

Love this post. Thanks!

I work directly with these folks and will let them know!

I am an HP Employee
NPI Manager - Z VR / Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation