cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 71 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

This has been the single most time wasting computer problem I've ever faced.  I've tried to disable the controls completely but cannot.  Even when the wireless adapter is disabled in the control panel, the blue/red wireless indicator light turns on & off on its own.  I've taken it to repair shops and they cannot fix it.  Due to the comments here, I see dealing with HP is a waste of time, so I haven't tried that.

But worst of all... I've bought a 2 USB wirelss adapters, and they cannot function properly either... that has to be related to this problem.

It's time to cut my losses and buy a Dell or other.  No more HP PCs... of course they are getting out of the PC business so that would be sill anyway, but I will not buy any more HP printers either... I've got 4 sitting in my office and I see the quality of them declining as well with each model.

Argh!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
37 37 0 1
Message 72 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - I got my HP case manager to agree that this is a h/w issue, and he agreed to implement the rgrounding/shielding etrofit documented in HaggisCat's youTube videos. I have just done a full backup and I am going to drop the machine off at FedEx. I will be really surprised if they imple,ment this non-standard fix...I'll update the board when I get my machine back....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 1
Message 73 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Finally your got someone there? Luck you.

I wish I such a case manager.

Hope your laptop get fixed right this time.

I am still stocked with the problem in Holland.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 74 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had this problem for MONTHS!! with it steadily getting worse.  Only recently has the loss of internet connection become a part of the problem.  Before it was mostly the tone bar constantly flashing across the screen and turning off my volume, as well as the MediaSmart program launching itself.  I assumed it was a hardware problem.  However, I found this discussion and  was surprised to find out how wide-spread the problem is.  My first step was to try the suggestion about turning off the tone control.....

1- press and hold Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the  menu (windows 7 64 bit)

2- Select "Start Task Manager"

3- Select Image "HPToneCtl.exe" (Description is Tone Control)

4- Press "End Process" button at the bottom right of the window.

5- Reboot computer to restart this Tone Control process.

I can't say if this will be a long-term solution, but for now it seems to have worked for me!!!  This is the first time in ages that I've been able to use the computer without that darn tone bar flashing in the middle of my screen and messing up my work.  Thank you to everyone who has worked on, and responded to this issue. 

I'm really glad I don't have to replace any parts.  I just recently replaced the keyboard (myself to save time and $) because a number of keys would quit working as soon as the computer heated up.  I know, this sounds stupid, but that's exactly what would happen so I'm thinking something was warped to cause the problem.    (I do use a cooling fan underneath the computer as these laptops tend to get quite hot.)

Vicky

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 1
Message 75 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good luck. It didn't help me. I still got the problem with the wireless button. I'll stick with the solution of HaggisCat1. Look like HP made a design fault on the cable and connector of the Pavilion DV8. So sad for the brilliant peace of work. The DV8 really deserves a good solution. I also don't like to risk ending up with a completely not working machine by doing the repair myself.... So I still hope that HP picks up my problem. But at least we have a solution!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 76 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I have my fingers crossed - it may turn out to only be a temporary fix.  I'm just glad that I have the information from this forum to help me figure it out.  I have the DV5 and am not sure what the difference is between it and the DV8.  If the problem acts up again I'll have to get up the courage to go in and do the fix myself because I just can not afford to have the computer gone for more than a day.  It took me a month to get up the courage to replace the keyboard myself, but that worked out well with detailed instructions found on the internet, so I'm guessing I could figure out how to do this too. 

I just can't believe how widespread the problem is, and how really invasive it can be when it starts acting up.  With all the information posted here, which solution makes the most sense... disconnect the cable, or taping it up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 77 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK....Ok...OK.... this is the final resolution to this problem... I've posted before and .... I was wrong 
before.... THIS IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM.....NOT A SOFTWARE PROBLEM,...
You will need small screw drivers for this fix....(phillips screw drivers) if you don't know what phillips 
screw drivers are then you should not proceed.
Flip computer over...remove plug... remove battery... inside of battery compartment: unsrew (4) similar short 
screws which fastens metal-covered plastic (speaker cover) which says "altec lansing".... also top right and 
top left screws.... these also hold screen(speaker cover). The last two are not inside the battery 
compartment... they are at the utmost top left and top right corners of bottom side.
unscrew keyboard screws (2 screws) under side of computer.(marked with a small keyboard symbol)
turn over computer so it is right side up
pop off screen(speaker cover) [2 ways]: carefully if you wish to protect new look.... or pry off with reckless 
abandon, if you're sick of this problem......
unscrew and wiggle up keyboard. fully tape with black electricians, the cd rom drive which is metalic and 
any other metalic objects you should find.. so you can not see(insulated from electo-static shock) any more 
silver.
next take screen (speaker cover) and tape all silver... then break off little tiny CURVE AROUND METAL PIECES
(tabs) FROM METAL SCREEN (SPEAKER COVER) that are only close to "treble" and "bass: control)   ... four total 
tabs.....Keep in mind that these tabs are designed to hold metal screen (speaker cover) onto plastic (speaker 
cover) and that bending the tiny tabs (1mm by 3mm) back and forth about 5 times will break them off.
finally tape the bottom (underside- not seen part of the speaker cover) as to BARELY OVERLAP EDGE.... this 
will not be seen when re-assembled as plastic touch panel will cover it. I believe that this is the most important step;;;; tape the edges where you broke off the tiny wrap around "tabs"...
Also I would finally tape the underside of the plastic touch panel with black electricians tape. Tape where 
the buttons for volume, treble, bass, wifi, are.

Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 78 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

also  do not screw in top two screws which hold down key board...... leave them out and tape over metal  fasteners.

THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE OPERATION IS TO SECURE STATIC ELECTRICITY FROM EXCITING TOUCH CONTROLS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 79 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have been experiencing the exactly same problem.  Mine too is focused on the wireless/base/treble side of the touch pad.  I am working to send the computer in for repair. 

0 Kudos
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 80 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Man this is driving me nuts. It's constantly going on/off throughout conversations on MSN and its driving me nuts. Internet died? oh look the light is orange again...

Seriously this is SUPPOSED to be a premium laptop. £1,000 and this has been happening out of the box. Make matters worse I lost my recovery partition and I didn't make a backup. Took me a couple of days to get something installed that didn't blue-screen cause of having wrong drivers. Get ahold of the recovery disk? about £40 delivered disk. Make it available online.

Do they seriously expect me to chuck out another £1,000 for another laptop from them? I've learnt my lesson and I aint getting another. Apply a bit of quality control and support your products and people will come back.

Thrown in the keepnet and upon purchasing my laptop was already out of date and unsupported.

Developer of Konoro Kingdom (http://www.konoro.org/)
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation