cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
euantron
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

I'm fairly sure I already know theres some kind of issue beneathe the touch sensitive bar that warrants taking it in for some kind of repair but it cant hurt just to confirm that or to see if something else may need attention. This is on HP pavillion dv8 - im not sure on detail on the midel beyond that, theres nothing on the lappy shell which fills me in. Neverthless I think the touch sensitive bar appears in all model variations - its the touch keys that are directly above the keyboard itself that are for ease of use and i suppose angled for media use for when your watching films or the like. It controls film type buttons like play/stop/eject/fastforwd etc, then going further left it control volume and muting, then treble/base volume and finally the bluetooth key that turns wireless on and off.

My problem is that the final two keys on this touch bar are behaving as if they are being used when they are not - this could mean the buttons themselves are broken or perhaps the function they control is; that they are next to eachother as buttons makes me think the former. My wireles will keep turning off and on or just off or just on depending what it was on befone this occurs. Similarly the treble volume will start changing. I can find nothing thats happening when this starts up that would instigate this and likewise nothing that would cause it to stop - it just seems random. The trble volume changing i can live with even tho im interrupted every time it does - but losing wireless is a bit more of a terminal issue. Any ideas what may fix this or be causing it? Has similar issues occured elsewhere? Is there anyway I can turn off this touch bar so that it can no longer control those functions? That would at least allow me to use my lappy again.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
82 REPLIES 82
solaris999
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure about any solutions, but I'm having exactly the same problems you are - the treble and bass buttons flicker and the wireless turns on and off. I read somewhere that running your fingers along the entire bar will help solve it but this only occasionally works for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
OhSnap
3 3 0 0
Message 3 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. It is driving me crazy. This is my first HP laptop. Am not happy.

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 4 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello I have same "Exact" problem with my HP Pavilion dv8. I will do the same. PS. I did call HP Customer support about this and after reinstalling the wi-fi driver and audio drivers (which I don't think has got anything to do with it), they tell me that I'll have to send the PC in for warrenty repair and may be it needs a new hardware . I cannot do that since this is my work PC and cannot have it gone for more than 1-2 days. So, I'm stuck with it for the time being.

To disable the Bass & Trebble touch buttons, was easy, just disable HPToneCtl from by running msconfig and unchecking it, however, there is no way to Disable the Wireless button (that I know of) which is causing a bigger problem.

Please post a reply if any of you happen to solve it . I've subscribed to this feed.

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 5 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's and update folks and a possible solution for most of you out there with this issue. I've been running my pavilion dv8 for about 2 hrs with processing load at about 50% CPU without either the tone control or wireless buttons going berserk ! The solution is so simple, I feel like an idiot that I didn't try this before.

The Solution : Alcohol ! Thats right i used "Isopropyl Alcohol" from my medicine cabinet (normally used to disinfect minor cuts and wounds), to clean the surface of the affected buttons, with a paper napkin. 10 seconds, and viola, problem solved !

If you are curious to know (HP Customer Care are you reading this) why did this work ? Since the touch-sensitive buttons are not pressure sensitive but they sence the electrical disturbance created by the static charge of the touching fingers (apologies if my description is technically inaccurate), any residue on the surface like natural oil from the skin, food, other cleaners, etc. my cause the button to get confused at randon especially after warming up; thus the bizzare behavior.

If you don't have "isopropyl alcohol" handy, any alchohol based aftershave, colone, etc. should also do the trick.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
expertpc
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the Iso-alcohol bit and it did not address the issue for me. However, I am seeing a pattern in that I only get the sound and wifi changes occurin when there is internet activity such as IE or some behind the scenes updating going on.

I will try and narrow it down (I have been in IT for about 20 years and do this kind stuff for a living) and post my findings. I am going on travel this week so will have plenty of time to tinker...

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,534 4,501 384 1,077
Message 7 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try following all of the instructions (in order) posted on this page: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Problem-with-Pavilion-dv8-top-slider-bar-treble-b...

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 8 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd like to preface by saying that as of right now and for over a month, I do have the latest BIOS, Wireless, Audio & Keyboard drivers as well as the latest Tone Control and Quick Play Software; so lets not go down that path here on this thread!

I'd also like to confess that the Alcohol cleaning did work for me only "partly" since the frequency of the problem went from being constant to sparingly. Therefore I'd not discount this trick completely, however, I had to do other things afterwards, which seems to have giving me a new direction in reducing the frequency of this issue occuring. Only Time will tell how successful it is, but at least it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Try this: Open up your "Power Options" from Control Panel, and go into "Advanced Power Settings" and make the following changes to your current(active) power plan for "Plugged in" and if it works then try for "On battery" if you think you need it there too :

1. PCI Express ---> Link State Power Management  ---> Plugged in = "Modereate Power Savings"

2. USB Settings ---> USB selective suspend ---> Plugged in = "Enabled"

3. Wireless Adapter Settings ---> Power Saving Mode ----> Plugged in = "Maximum Performance"

FYI. I had different settings for the above because I had a customized power plan, however after looking at the settings of the "HP Recommended" power plan I decided to change the above settings to match it.

PS. Please Disable "HP Tone Control" in msconfig from launching during startup, apart from the above changes, or else you may not get the problem to go away. Then restart your computer.

So what does power settings have to do with this problem ? My theory is that since the Tone Control (Audio adapter) and WiFi adapters are connected internally to some PCI &/or Serial Interface, the above mentioned settings may have an impact on the issue. This is a Driver/Hardware problem and HP is to blame, but for us who cannot immediately give their PC for repairs, we need a solid work around and this is in my opinion our best shot until some other solution comes our way.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,534 4,501 384 1,077
Message 9 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@janubande007 wrote:

I'd like to preface by saying that as of right now and for over a month, I do have the latest BIOS, Wireless, Audio & Keyboard drivers as well as the latest Tone Control and Quick Play Software; so lets not go down that path here on this thread!

I'd also like to confess that the Alcohol cleaning did work for me only "partly" since the frequency of the problem went from being constant to sparingly. Therefore I'd not discount this trick completely, however, I had to do other things afterwards, which seems to have giving me a new direction in reducing the frequency of this issue occuring. Only Time will tell how successful it is, but at least it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Try this: Open up your "Power Options" from Control Panel, and go into "Advanced Power Settings" and make the following changes to your current(active) power plan for "Plugged in" and if it works then try for "On battery" if you think you need it there too :

1. PCI Express ---> Link State Power Management  ---> Plugged in = "Modereate Power Savings"

2. USB Settings ---> USB selective suspend ---> Plugged in = "Enabled"

3. Wireless Adapter Settings ---> Power Saving Mode ----> Plugged in = "Maximum Performance"

FYI. I had different settings for the above because I had a customized power plan, however after looking at the settings of the "HP Recommended" power plan I decided to change the above settings to match it.

PS. Please Disable "HP Tone Control" in msconfig from launching during startup, apart from the above changes, or else you may not get the problem to go away. Then restart your computer.

So what does power settings have to do with this problem ? My theory is that since the Tone Control (Audio adapter) and WiFi adapters are connected internally to some PCI &/or Serial Interface, the above mentioned settings may have an impact on the issue. This is a Driver/Hardware problem and HP is to blame, but for us who cannot immediately give their PC for repairs, we need a solid work around and this is in my opinion our best shot until some other solution comes our way.

Good Luck.

You have the latest versions, but did you first uninstall the old software and drivers properly? 

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 10 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The BIOS was updated and the old drivers were removed before installing new ones. However, I do not suggest reinstalling any firmware or software unless my other suggestions did not work for you.

I've had no issues with my dv8 since I made my previous post, so unless you have tried my suggestions and failed to solve the problem, please don't extend this post unnecessarily.

RECAP: The steps I suggested as described before are : 1.  Change Power Options as described before, 2. Disabling HP Tone Control and 3. Clean the Touch Buttons. Please see my previous post for details for each.

PS Kalt, its difficult for people to go through a potentially successful solution if you keep crowding and clouding it with contents of my previous post plus a one line personal question to me which you can email to me on here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation