cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dougg
1 1 0 0
Message 31 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

I was wondering if you would have a followup on your fix.  You mentioned that you disconnected the touch bar and for 24hrs you did not have any more problems with your volume controls or wifi.  Is this fix still working properly?  I am at the stage of doing this but I want to make sure before I disassemble my computer.  I tried all other fixes and did not have any success so I am willing to try this.  Have you located a replacement part?

0 Kudos
JoeAzar
3 3 0 0
Message 32 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes so far no wifi problems, no flickering of the sound volume, it worked perfectly, ever since i disconnected the touchpad, i've instructed my dealer to contact HP and order a new touchpad for me so i can reconnect it because i d on't have a functional touchpad at the moment i use windows to turn on / off wifi and volume, which is find, but since my laptop is new i would like to have it fully functional.

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 33 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can testify that the workaround is not in software, but hardware as suggested by JoeAzar. After having HELL with this problem. I just decided to bite the bullet. But there's no need to dismantle the keyboard (as implied). Just need to open the "switch cover" i.e. the thing with a thousands of holes covering the speakers then after that remove the "keyboard cover" i.e. the rectangular plastic piece that also has the led lit touch sensitive buttons for volume, wifi, bass/trebble, etc. and disconnect this led lit panel from the keyboard by slowly pulling the cable out from under it.

PS. please read the maintenance manual from HP before doing this or else you may break something, you need to unscrew the correct screws (6 of them total of which 4 are under the battery) to be able to remove the 1st part and use a Credit Card to be able to remove both the parts. I must say it is scary to do this fix, the plastics are very delicate and you can easily break it. I took 1/2 hr to open these and was very gentle all the time and read the instructions about 5 times to make sure I was doing the right thing....not for the fait of heart, over confident or inconfident to indulge in.

NOTE: I made sure wifi was on before I shutdown.

Good luck and be very carefull when pulling the plastics out, slowly and steadily one click at a time.
mastersolver
1 1 0 0
Message 34 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can confirm that disconnecting the touch sensitive bar's flat cable is a very effective way of solving your problem.

I have no more problems with my dv8, and I don't even miss my touch-sensitive bar.

0 Kudos
soundxpess
4 4 0 0
Message 35 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I googled and searched like crazy about the wireless problem and i found that if you tae the keyboard apart and clean the silver cable that connect the sensor strip to cmputer and get a piece of scotch tape and tape the cable to the board where it grounds it you will see its just laying there needs to be touching it ( I did this and not lost signal since)

I was loosing it every 3 sec off on off on off on

hope you the best of luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
soundxpess
4 4 0 0
Message 36 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you have to take apar the computer and clean the silver cable where it grounds the sensar bar and use a peice of scotch tape to hold it down to the ground...

after that will work perfect 🙂 i did it and i was loosing signal    off on off on off on  

0 Kudos
MorangeR18
1 1 0 0
Message 37 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In other words HP likes to make crap and piss of its' customers.  I have had the DV8 for about one year now and this thing has been acting up for about a week or so.  What is so startling is that so many people have experienced this problem and there has not been a massive recall for this pile of crap.  I am utterly disappointed with HP

0 Kudos
glenn54
1 1 0 0
Message 38 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is clearly either a connection issue or defective touch sensitive bar. 

I called HP two times. 

The first time I got an offshore rep who had me on hold two times for a total of 30 minutes. He had me run diagnostics for hard drive and memory. Next he had me remove the WIFI card next to the speaker.  Since this issue only happens sometimes after I did everything he asked everything seemed fine.  He told me he would call back the next day.  I never received a call and the issue came back as I expected.

I called again this time a rep from the good old USA was on, I had bought the at home service and I insisted that a tech be sent to my home.  The night before the tech was scheduled to come he called, we talked about the problem and I pointed him to these threads on this issue.  While he was here he was on the phone with an HP tech and the only thing they could come up with was for me to take my laptop into a center and they would check it out…..NO WAY I said my business is on there.  He removed the cover and the touch sensitive bar, I instructed him to disconnect the cable and place some tape around the end of cable so there would be no chance of a short. 

I’ve had no issues with the WIFI disconnecting since!  I also have no use of the touch sensitive bar or lights.  I always thought the WIFI button was in a bad spot anyway since I was always hitting it and getting disconnected.

good luck!

0 Kudos
Raevhen
3 3 0 0
Message 39 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I did it, I unplugged the touch bar and for 2 days now I have had no disconnects.  It's sad, I tried calling HP on this several times and got overseas support every time and they kept making me try software fixes.  I eventually gave up, which I suppose is what HP wanted, well they got it and lost a future customer.

Unlike janubande007, I took about an hour to complete the task, but I also spend some time going over ever inch with canned air.  It now runs a bit cooler now after the cleaning.  

0 Kudos
brian2
Level 2
17 8 0 3
Message 40 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would advise you people not to ship your laptop off to hp repair store, to get something like this fixed. i  had my  shipped on 7th, was suppose to have my laptop on 14th and they changed the date to 28th.  (unless your patient enough to wait)

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation