cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Hasham07
Level 1
8 8 0 0
Message 21 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20

When I uppdated the Realtek from Windows update optional patch, my wifi seem to stop turning on and off. I will report back if it is really in that case. So far  my wifi has not been a bad boy =P

0 Kudos
Hasham07
Level 1
8 8 0 0
Message 22 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It did not work, the problem is not solved =(

0 Kudos
JoeAzar
3 3 0 0
Message 23 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

has anyone found the solution for this issue, i'm having the same problem.

the bass/treble button goes crazy as well as wifi turning off! i keep clicking it to turn it on again and then after a while the same happens again.

Please advise, i can't afford to keep my pc in repair for a few days.

0 Kudos
sammcc
5 5 0 0
Message 24 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No solution yet. I think it's pretty clear, given that it's happened to a lot of people all at once, that it's a software issue - HP updated something that messed up the buttons.

I'm currently using an expressport wireless-n adapter and have disabled the internal wireless adapter, and I unchecked HP Tone Control in msconfig system configuration. I watch the wireless adapter button light turn from red to blue and back again all day.

0 Kudos
Raevhen
3 3 0 0
Message 25 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried Kalt's power settings and cleaning the touch bar and it helped, but it did not completed fix the issue (I had already turned off the tone control when this first started happening).  I can now go for hours with no issues, or it will just happen once, and then it is fine again.

I have already been in contact with HP and they want me to reset my machine to factory settings.  I have yet to try it because I have a lot of data on my machine and have yet to back it all up, though if it becomes too much of a hassle, I will try that and see what happens.

Rae

0 Kudos
janubande007
Level 1
9 9 0 1
Message 26 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Guys. Check this out. I may have new information.

I was having problems with this before & thought I had worked around it, but as most of you, it cropped up again. I performed 1 or 2 reboots to work around the issue. Then a couple of weeks ago, there was a WiFi Driver Update by Microsoft which seemed to solve the issue but after another OS update a few days later, by Microsoft, the problem came back.

Here is something new I tried which I had not tried before. Disable Windows ASPM (Active State Power Management) for PCI Express :-

Try this: Open up your "Power Options" from Control Panel, and go into "Advanced Power Settings" and make the following changes to your current(active) power plan for "Plugged in" and if it works then try for "On battery" if you think you need it there too :

1. PCI Express ---> Link State Power Management  ---> Plugged in = "Off"

REBOOT !

PS. I still have HP Tone Control Disabled as suggested before.

Please report on the Success/Failure of this potential Work Around.

Good Luck !

------------------------------------------

Re: (SUCCESS - Try Adv Power Options) Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

06-16-2010 03:44 PM - last edited on 06-16-2010 04:01 PM

The BIOS was updated and the old drivers were removed before installing new ones. However, I do not suggest reinstalling any firmware or software unless my other suggestions did not work for you.

I've had no issues with my dv8 since I made my previous post, so unless you have tried my suggestions and failed to solve the problem, please don't extend this post unnecessarily.

RECAP: The steps I suggested as described before are : 1.  Change Power Options as described before, 2. Disabling HP Tone Control and 3. Clean the Touch Buttons. Please see my previous post for details for each.

PS Kalt, its difficult for people to go through a potentially successful solution if you keep crowding and clouding it with contents of my previous post plus a one line personal question to me which you can email to me on here.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Re: (Try Adv Power Options) Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken

I'd like to preface by saying that as of right now and for over a month, I do have the latest BIOS, Wireless, Audio & Keyboard drivers as well as the latest Tone Control and Quick Play Software; so lets not go down that path here on this thread!

I'd also like to confess that the Alcohol cleaning did work for me only "partly" since the frequency of the problem went from being constant to sparingly. Therefore I'd not discount this trick completely, however, I had to do other things afterwards, which seems to have giving me a new direction in reducing the frequency of this issue occuring. Only Time will tell how successful it is, but at least it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Try this: Open up your "Power Options" from Control Panel, and go into "Advanced Power Settings" and make the following changes to your current(active) power plan for "Plugged in" and if it works then try for "On battery" if you think you need it there too :

1. PCI Express ---> Link State Power Management  ---> Plugged in = "Modereate Power Savings"

2. USB Settings ---> USB selective suspend ---> Plugged in = "Enabled"

3. Wireless Adapter Settings ---> Power Saving Mode ----> Plugged in = "Maximum Performance"

FYI. I had different settings for the above because I had a customized power plan, however after looking at the settings of the "HP Recommended" power plan I decided to change the above settings to match it.

PS. Please Disable "HP Tone Control" in msconfig from launching during startup, apart from the above changes, or else you may not get the problem to go away. Then restart your computer.

So what does power settings have to do with this problem ? My theory is that since the Tone Control (Audio adapter) and WiFi adapters are connected internally to some PCI &/or Serial Interface, the above mentioned settings may have an impact on the issue. This is a Driver/Hardware problem and HP is to blame, but for us who cannot immediately give their PC for repairs, we need a solid work around and this is in my opinion our best shot until some other solution comes our way.

Good Luck.

---------------------------------------------------------

Re (Update - Good News!): Touch sensitive bar at the top of HP dv8 seems to be broken 06-10-2010 02:29 PM

Here's and update folks and a possible solution for most of you out there with this issue. I've been running my pavilion dv8 for about 2 hrs with processing load at about 50% CPU without either the tone control or wireless buttons going berserk ! The solution is so simple, I feel like an idiot that I didn't try this before.

The Solution : Alcohol ! Thats right i used "Isopropyl Alcohol" from my medicine cabinet (normally used to disinfect minor cuts and wounds), to clean the surface of the affected buttons, with a paper napkin. 10 seconds, and viola, problem solved !

If you are curious to know (HP Customer Care are you reading this) why did this work ? Since the touch-sensitive buttons are not pressure sensitive but they sence the electrical disturbance created by the static charge of the touching fingers (apologies if my description is technically inaccurate), any residue on the surface like natural oil from the skin, food, other cleaners, etc. my cause the button to get confused at randon especially after warming up; thus the bizzare behavior.

If you don't have "isopropyl alcohol" handy, any alchohol based aftershave, colone, etc. should also do the trick.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Raevhen
3 3 0 0
Message 27 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Something new I have noticed with the issue:

My wife and I were playing an online MMO together and when my connection dropped, her laptop was experiencing a huge latency issue.  This has happened several times, when I drop my connection, she gets a huge lag spike.  Now the question is, what is the root cause?  Is my ISP causing the drops, or do my drops cause my wireless network to stop sending data?

Rae

0 Kudos
sammcc
5 5 0 0
Message 28 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hesitated to say this but it's now been two weeks and the problem has disappeared. I don't know what changed, but I did do a number of updates from HP and from Microsoft. I figured eventually they'd figure it out and post it stealthily, but anyone else still having problems after applying all recent updates?

0 Kudos
gobarman
6 6 0 0
Message 29 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I went month without this problem. Even that dv8 is a laptop I usually don'y move it or carry it around a lot. The problems started when I move to a new house and therefore has increased since I started to carry my computer to my job. It's clarly some issue with the hardware that has broken. I don't buy the whole alcohol solution since I don't use the wireless button at all (at least when until this problem started and I've to turn it on every 5 minutes.) Why does the other buttons that are used more often (DVD player, volume) does not have this issue? I've to say that this seams to increase everytime that I move the computer around. Anyone wlse has noticed the same? Unfortunally i live overseas in the caribbean so taking my computer to a warranty center is not an option. Specially if first they are going to errase and reinstall the system and updates (which I done already) before traying to replace any hardware. Does anybody knows if is possible to by the spare part for and replace it at home?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
JoeAzar
3 3 0 0
Message 30 of 83
Flag Post
HP Recommended

well i think the issue has been resolved! for you guys who tried everything and didn't manage to fix the problem here's what i did. or actually a friend of mine did to my laptop.

well he dismantled the keyboard and took off the connection between the touch pad on top and the keyboard, so now my keyboard doesn't have a functioning touch pad, and so far i've had 24 hours of non interrupted wifi usage and no sound bars flickering!

i don't mean to tell you guys to keep your touchpads disconnected, but i've located the problem. I'm asking my dealer to provide me with a new touch pad part so we can install it, so u guys should do the same to locate the problem and then ask for a replacement part. Personally i don't trust giving my laptop to anyone so that's why i took this into my own hands.

Good luck for those of you who are still having trouble!

hope i was able to help

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation